Chapter 23

Chapter 23

I thought about my parents as we walked to the infirmary.

What were they doing? Did they even remember me?

'Get your head in the game.' I told myself.

We had awoken early the next morning, and ate breakfast. Well everyone else had, I was too nervous to eat.

I had on the same apparel as last time, with new armor. This time though, three daggers were strapped to my side, an a short scythe.

Sam was already there, he had been injecting all the unconscious bodies with the revival serum, Adam was helping him.

Cameron followed me to one of the beds. I laid down, and made myself as comfortable as I could.

Now that it was really here, adrenaline was coursing through my veins, and my heartbeat picked up.

Sam came over and stuck something on my forehead, and another on my chest. It was a suction cup thing, attached to a machine.

I looked at Sam questioningly, and he smiled back, almost sadly.

"It will record your heartbeat, so we can tell when you get into trouble, and monitor your vital signs."

Ok, I guess that made sense.

Adam approached me and said,

"Good luck."

I hope I didn't need it.

Adams presence reminded me, and I set up the wall in my mind, to keep the Daemon out.

Cameron sat at the end of my bed.

"Go get 'em Princess."

I took a deep breath as Sam stuck the needle deep in my arm.

It should've stung, but so much adrenaline was pumping through my blood stream, I didn't feel a thing.

"I love you." I said to Cameron as the drug pulled me under.

"I love you..." His voice faded out as I was pulled deeper into the calming waters.

'The Lake' I thought.

The Lake, The Lake, The Lake.....

-----------------------------------

I was standing in the same spot a last time. Dark trees loomed overhead, looking unnatural.

Of course it was nighttime. This time there was only a half moon to give me light. But my eyesight helped greatly.

I took a step forward, and looked around. There were no Daemons between me and the water.

I was about to run for it, when a twig snapped behind me.

Oh crap.

I turned and there he was. The Illusionist. Behind him were two more Daemons.

They were all nasty looking. Did colored skin, and sharp fangs. With my eyesight I could see their unnatural eyes. Completely black.

Demonic.

I double checked my defenses making sure my block was up.

The Daemon smiled and I charged. I wasn't letting them make the first move. I drew my first dagger, and threw it. The Illusionist sidestepped, and the knife missed him.

Luck was on my side though, because the knife buried itself into the shoulder of the Daemon behind him.

I threw another dagger, but it flew harmlessly by the Illusionist's head.

The Illusionist grinned again, then confusion crossed his face.

I guess he was trying to use his Daemon mojo on me and it wasn't working. I smiled back.

The Illusionist waved his arm and the other Daemon ran at me.

Typical, let the others do his work.

I drew my scythe and ran to meet him, giving a battle cry.

I swung, an with one clean swipe the Daemons head fell off . Sweet.

Until the smell hit my nose, and I gagged. I turned around to see the Illusionist was gone.

Crap! Where'd the slippery sucker go?

I spun in circles, waiting for another attack. Then I saw them.

Just like last time, hundreds of Daemons came pouring out of the trees behind me.

My heart galloped in my cheat, and pure energy flowed into my limbs.

This is what I was here for.

I threw my last two daggers in quick succession, striking two Daemons. One in the head and one in the heart.

Bulls-eye.

I faced the Daemons head on and focused on the water behind me. I drew it over my head in a wave ad brought it down between the Daemons and myself.

It created a barrier between us, stretching about a football length in both directions.

I twitched a finger and the wall froze solid. One Daemon froze with it, being stupid enough to try an get through the wall of water.

I had to hurry, it would only buy me a few seconds.

I spun and darted toward the water.

I pushed myself as fast as I could. I felt hot breath down my neck, and smelled the rancid breath of a Daemon, and forced my legs faster.

Just get to the water and I would be safe. Well until whatever was guarding the Hunters revealed itself.

I was wary to dive into the oily looking water, but the Daemons on my heels made me willing to jump.

When I got to the edge of the lake the Daemons following me slowed, and I dove under the water without hesitation.