Chapter 18

Sam left and came back, leading a tall man. He was younger that Sam, but older than me or Cameron.

Apparently Sam had given the other Hunters a day off, so we could use the smaller gym without interruption.

Most of the others had gone to a movie or some other group activity.

Cameron made the introductions, while holding my hand. He made sure to give the newcomer a look when he guy saw me.

The look that said, 'Shes taken and if you try something you will lose an important body part'.

Psh. Guys.

"Im Cameron." He said with a friendly smile.

"Guys, this is Adam. Adam, this is Alissa. And you already know Sam."

When Cameron said my name I stepped forward, letting go of his hand, and shook Adams hand.

Adam had beach blond hair, like the kind you would expect a surfer to have. His smile was genuine.

He was wearing a simple pair of jeans, and a plain blue t-shirt.

He seemed warm and friendly, and I instantly liked him.

"So your my life-saver." Adam said.

"Ah yep that's me." I said semi-nervously.

Sam cleared his throat, and nodded to Cameron.

"Well we will leave you guys to it then."

I watched him go, and Cameron nodded to me. He went to sit in the corner to watch.

Well Sam was in a hurry. He had been kind of distracted lately.

I hope he wasn't planning to be like this forever.

I turned to face Adam. Cue awkward silence.

Adam cleared his throat. What is it with guys and throat clearing?

"So you want to learn to block an illusionist?"

"Pretty much." I replied

Adam moved behind me.

"I'm going inside your head, and I'll talk you through how to push me out, and block me."

'Going inside your head' didn't sound too pleasant.

Adam stayed behind me and began talking.

"Can you feel my mind inside yours?"

I closed my eyes and relaxed.

As I went deep into my mind, I could feel something there. Almost like a thought in the back of my head. It felt foreign and odd. Like it didn't belong.

"Yes." I said, trying to keep my focus.

"Good." Adam's voice came from far away.

"Now grab ahold of it with your mind, and force it out. Know that it's not real, it doesn't belong there."

I tried to focus on Adams instructions, and not his voice.

I mentally grabbed ahold of the presence there, and shoved.

A splinting pain shot through my skull.

I fell the the ground, crying out and holding my head. I felt like if I let go my head would split.

I heard Cameron yell, but it sounded far away. Muffled.

"Stop it! Your hurting her!"

I felt arms cradle me, and hug me tightly.

"Stop it now!" A voice roared.

I couldn't think, or focus. The pain was blinding. I couldn't suppress the cry of pain the escaped my mouth.

I could still feel Adams presence digging around in my head and it hurt. The wrongness of it. It shouldn't be there.

I wanted to push it out, but I couldn't focus, or get a grip on my mind. Everything was spinning out of control.

Suddenly my mind was my own again. The pain slowly subsided, and I could think again.

Cameron had me in his lap, stroking my hair.

I stayed that way, not wanting to face another problem. I was getting tired of these dilemmas.

I finally decided enough was enough, told myself to quit being a chicken and I looked up to Adam.

"What just happened?" I asked, my voice breaking.

"What happened, is things just got more difficult."