Chapter 09

Anahita

Anahita

I heard him calling my name before I went inside the bathroom quickly turning on the faucet. Not caring that I had shut the door on his face. I stand in front of the mirror clutching on the marble sink so tightly that my knuckles turned white. Looking at the blurred reflection due to the tears I saw the ugly tears streaming down my face and hastily wiped them. I take deep breaths trying to calm myself down and get hold of myself.

"Anahita... come out please." A knock sounded behind me followed by his somewhat gentle voice, sounding rather soft than the one I just witnessing not long ago.

"I'm all right." I croaked out still trying to control my ragged breaths.

For a long minute no sound came from the other side after that and then I heard the bedroom door closing. Alright he left, good for him. I thought to myself but a twinge of disappointment that I'm feeling is uncalled for. I shook it away, trying to clear my head.

The unexpected knock got my attention and then "Anu mami!!" Called a sweet voice.

"Yes darling." I quickly splashed water on my face and turned off the faucet. Grabbing a towel from the hanger I stepped out of the bathroom drying my face and find Ashu in the arms of Adhrit.

"She came to sleep with her mami and asked me where you were." Adhrit spoke sounding a little apologetic when he found me glaring at him.

I turned my focus away from him and smiled at her. She stretched her arms out telling me to take her in my arms. I threw the towel, I was holding in the basket at the corner and took hold of her, carrying her in my arms I headed out of the closet and marched towards the bed.

"Were you crying mami ?" She asks me still in my arms, looking at my face.

"No dear, I'm just tired." Sighing I kissed her forehead. Partially lying and partially telling the truth, thinking about the current circumstances.

"But your eyes are looking red and your nose has turned pink. Do you have a cold ? My nose turns pink as well when I catch a cold." She said observing my face keenly.

The concern in the little girls voice made me admit the truth.
"You were right Ashu, I was crying."

"So why did you lie. You know mommy says we should always tell the truth." She says as a matter of fact.

"Your mommy is absolutely right. We should not lie but you see sometimes the truth is too harsh to admit out loud even to one's own ears, feels like it's making them look weak in front of everyone. So they choose to lie instead." I explain her knowing clearly ahe wouldn't understand any of this and carefully put her down on the bed. My eyes unknowingly facing him and found him looking at me with sombre eyes.

"Are you missing your family ?" She asks again.

I nod admittedly.

"Mommy sometimes become sad too after talking to mamu over phone. When asked she says she misses him and bade nanu." I heard a sigh emitting from where Adhrit is standing. Maybe he's thinking about his sister.