Chapter 11

Adhrit

Adhrit

I'm staring at the screen in front of me, trying to get some work done but my mind is elsewhere. Thinking about the conversation that I had with my brother in-law. I have a habit of working late usually and I enjoy it. There's never been a day when I was eager to clock out, then why am I getting the urge today to head home, why do I find myself unable to concentrate on the task in hand and why on earth it's still seven in the evening. I disgruntled peering at the digital clock on the table.

I got up from my chair, sighing and raked a hand through my hair. I quickly sent a message to Varun, informing that we'll be heading home. Turning off the desktop, I wore my suit jacket and head to the elevator which directly opens up in my office. Exiting the building I found Varun with my car, ready to leave.

On the ride back I feel my assistant's eyes on me through the rear view mirror. It's literally the hundredth time he's done that. Peering at the mirror from time to time in a span of half an hour.

"Do you have something you want to say to me Varun ?" I asked him not being able to conceal how irksome I find his antics.

"Nothing sir. It's just that you have never clocked out this early unless off course there is something more important or some kind of emergency so, it came as a shock to me when you notified me about heading home." He explained sounding as surprised as he said but with a grin on his face.

"I'm the boss of my company. It's not like I need someone's permission to leave for home early, do I ?"

"Of course not sir." He replied but I swear I saw him shaking his head.

"And besides everyone leaves after five." I added.

"Sure sir." He said.

We sat there through the ride of next fifteen minutes in silence. After reaching the Raichand villa I got out of the car, looking at my left wrist to check the time. It's twenty minutes to eight. Crossing the foyer I went to the west wing to check on my grandfather and saw a servant exiting his bedroom, wheeling out the food trolley.

"Wait." I ordered.

"Yes, Mr. Raichand."

"Is my grandfather awake ?" I asked.

"Yes, Mr. Raichand. He has just taken his medicines." She answers with her head bowed.

"Alright. You can go now." I dismissed her and entered dadu's room to find him in bed. Leaning back on the headboard he has his reading glasses on and is now reading a book.

"Dadu" I called when he didn't seem to notice that someone has entered his chamber.

He looked up from the book. "Adhrit! You're home early, come here." He said smiling. Closing the book he gestured me to come closer. I went and sat on the couch near his bed.

"How come I get to see my grandson this early in the evening ? I hope everything is alright."

"Of course dadu, everything's fine. I just wanted to come home sooner, that's it."