Chapter 12

Anahita

Anahita

What's it with him tonight. He's not behaving like his usual self. First leaving work early and then voluntary inviting me for dinner, even though there's no one for whom we have to keep up the charade. Though I must say the sight of him with his jacket off and loosened tie is doing crazy things to my brain. No doubt my husband looks majestic and charismatic in his perfectly tailored business suits but this laid back look of his is more than enough to make all the women's heart racing, and that tousled hair is just cherry on top.

He followed me down to the end of the stairs.

"We'll dine on the dinner table." He announced from behind me and I realised that I was heading for the kitchen instead.

"Sure" I turned to face him only to find his eyes on me as he unbuttoned his cuffs and was now in the process of rolling the shirt sleeves. I couldn't help but rake my eyes over strong forearms which were lightly dusted with dark hair and my goodness those prominent veins... I gulp visibly and turned back, heading to the dinner table and took a sit. He pulls the chair infront of me out and sits there.

"So how was your day?" I asked as an attempt to make small talk while we sat, having dinner.

He waited for a bit, taking a sip of water. "Nothing special, just usual. Had a meeting with investors and then I reviewed some files, signed even more documents..." He vaguely answered reaching for the daal (lentil soup). I passed it to him since it was near me. Glancing at me, he took the bowl from my outstretched arm. "You know how it usually is." He sighed.

"Right" I agreed. Not having anything else to say, I kept quiet for a minute. What more can we possibly talk about, hobbies, favourite food, movies Oh for god's sake Anahita you're not on a date. I'm scolding myself mentally and maybe my face gave away how this silence is making me uncomfortable because suddenly I hear him speaking.

"Tell me about your day." He prompted in his ever so calm voice but with a urgency that said he was genuinely interested to know.

I put my spoon down on the plate and focused my attention on him whose eyes in turn were fixated on me, looking forward to hear what I had to say.

"We did some baking"

"We ?"

"Yes, me and Ashu."

"Mmhmm."

"Yeah. She mentioned she loved cookies, so I told her we'll bake some. It was so much fun. Did you know she's obsessed with bears ?" I asked getting a bit eager myself.

A corner of his mouth lifted in a smile. "As a matter of fact I do. You can blame me for it."

I frowned. "How so ?"

"Well, I was the one who took her to the zoo in the first place. I remember how excited she was to see those bears" He replied smugly and I wasn't prepared for his smile when he gazed at me. I marvel at how enchanting and radiant his smile is and how my heart skipped a bit when my eyes witnessed this. I didn't want to take my eyes off of him but I had to or I would have ruin this moment, staring at him like an idiot.