chapter 05

Adhrit

Adhrit

What is she? I can't seem to figure her out. Whenever I think I know enough about her, she does something that changes my opinion completely. It is frustratingly confusing and I simply detest confusions.

Sitting in my cabin and staring at the computer screen I keep thinking about her. My eyes are on the screen but my mind, somewhere else. It has been seven months since she set foot in this house, since the day of our wedding. We both are aware of the terms of our marriage or should I say agreement. A proposal that her father made. He knew I wanted the property which they owned and conditioned that I can acquire it only after I got married to her.

I had contacted him before with the purpose of buying the land but he down right refused, even though I was offering more than the market price. More than whatever Kabir Khosla was offering at that time.

A thought crossed my mind that maybe he would sell it to the khosla's, given that he used to work for them until three years ago and his daughter was working there at the moment. I wonder why he didn't sell it off sooner when he simply did not have any use of it.

The whole area was crucial from business approach as It was near a pilgrimage site and the government was thinking about its restoration and extending the campus for the convenience of all the devotees who went there from different parts of the nation. It was a very large project and many corporations were fighting over the tender. It would have been given to the company with the most regal plan for it and Sanjay Gujral's measly eight acres of property played a vital role in the reconstruction. That is why other organisations were also trying to buy that from him.

I thought I lost it when he first refused to sell it to me even after countless meetings we had, trying to make him understand all the prospects that would eventually benefit him but he never agreed. Then suddenly out of nowhere he called my assistant and fixed an appointment to discuss about said property. He informed over the phone that the meeting should be confidential.

Flashback

On my way to meet the stubborn old man, I couldn't help but think about the reason for this meeting. My fingers are working on the screen but my mind is elsewhere. Maybe he changed his mind about selling the property after all, but why so suddenly when he refused my offer just a week ago. What changed in a mere week that he himself reached out to me so we could negotiate further. I thought he is in some financial trouble, some debts need to be cleared but no, I had Varun look into his accounts and I didn't find anything strange. I was deep in presumption that I didn't notice we've come to a stop and opening the car door Varun was waiting for me to exit.

Hotel Harmoney. This is where we're supposed to be meeting. I exit the car and stand straight, buttoning my suit jacket and looking ahead at the grandeur and opulence of the place. It is one of the many hotels that was built by Raichand industries. I am rather fond of this particular hotel as it was my very first project that I led after joining the business.