Chapter 13

Adhrit

Adhrit

I wanted to ask her more and know so many things about her. I wanted to watch her while she tells me more about her life. I wanted to see the smile on her face again as she relive those memories but the sadness that I witnessed on her face when she was reminiscing the past, was able to leave me lost for words. Talking about her father must be hard for her especially with me, given the turn of events. I wanted to tell her that everything will be alright and that her father must be proud of her, proud of the woman she has become but, I could not.

I could not tell her to look at me when she averted her eyes, trying to hide the clouds of melancholy in her eyes set to pour down. I was not ready for it and maybe I'll never be. After witnessing the cloudburst yesterday resulting in the drizzle of tears, a realisation dawned upon me that I do not find rainfall alluring as much as I thought and rather not see it ever again on her face.

I am sauntering in the hallways, about to get inside the study but my hand, hovering over the doorknob hesitated for a moment and I find myself striding towards the bedroom. My heart, beating crazily as I twisted the doorknob and pushed it ajar. Feeling like an intruder to enter my own bedroom, I stayed there standing. With my hand still holding the metal handle. My eyes roaming around, trying to get a glimpse of her, to ensure myself that she's all right but I did not find her. The bed was occupied but it was just my niece sleeping. I went inside the closet to get some clothes I can change into and saw the light coming from the bathroom. Alright so she's in there. An image of her crying flashed in my brain recalling about yesterday and I felt uneasy. Waiting for her to come out so I see for myself that she's fine I opened the drawers and started taking out my clothes when I heard the door opening. My head turned towards the direction of the sound to find her eyes on me. I find myself at ease and released a breath of relief involuntarily after seeing no traces of sadness on her mesmerizing eyes.

"Are you finished with your work ?" She asked with a towel in hand, drying off the moisture from her face. It took me a moment to realise she asked me something. I understand the hidden question behind her words which she did not utter.

"No. Not yet. I just came here to grab a change of clothes." I replied. She nodded her head but did not make any move to leave the closet, as if waiting for something else to hear from me. She was fidgeting with the towel which was in her hands. "I'll be sleeping in my study." I stated.

Her fingers stilled. "Of course. Alright." She said and threw the towel on the basket. Turning her back to me she started to leave.

"Anahita." I called. I don't know what came over me and made me stop her.
She stopped, her head turning to face me. Waiting for what I was about to say with an expecting look on her face.

"Yes." She says prompting me to speak when I stood there like a mannequin. 'Why did I tell her to stop ? '. I thought, mentally scolding myself.

"Good night." I said when I felt at a loss of words and had nothing to say.