21. Trust (Part 1)

Every person had a distinctness to the rhythm of their hearts and I savored my friends' unique sounds as I finally made out their forms approaching.

There was no sign of the injuries that had left Leif wilted against the tree. The distance quickly disappeared between us but I couldn't slow down. Had to reach him so my hands could tell me what my eyes didn't believe. That he was here, alive and well. I slammed into Leif with my arms around him and knocked him onto the ground.

Tears streamed from my eyes onto his shirt as I buried my face against him and sobbed. "You're alive. You're really alive."

Leif groaned on the ground, holding onto me tight. "I missed you too, girl."

I reached for Wren, unable to release Leif, and drew her down to wrap an arm around her.

"Your wounds..." I wiped my eyes and nose and then patted Leif's chest and stomach where the arrows once protruded.

He wrinkled his brow. "Yes, please, wipe your snotty tears all over me."

I laughed and smacked his chest. "You're completely healed."

"The healers took care of all our injuries, no matter how minor." Wren smoothed my hair back from my face to get a good look at me. "What about you? Are you hurt?"

"No. Leif opened his big fat mouth and screamed for the enemy to get him. The fool saved me."

"I would do it again," Leif said, voice serious.

"Never again." Tears warped my voice. "Never."

"We have a lot to talk about." Wren met my eyes.

I didn't like the sound of that. Wren had her commander's voice, the calm but impossible to deny tone she used in battle and meetings.

"We do," I said. "Just first, tell me how you escaped. Are they searching for you?"

"The demon from the Prophet's village came," Leif said.

"Her name is Flare," I said with a hard voice.

Wren nodded. "Then the Flatlanders released us with our weapons. We brought yours." When she pulled my bow off her back, I immediately grabbed it like I had Leif. "They told us we were free to attack the Prophet of the Valley as long as we didn't interfere with them again and they let us leave while they kept the others hostage."

"They're using you as a weapon." I twisted at Nash's voice. "You've been a shield for the Flatlanders for many years. The Prophet was too busy in the valley to turn to them."

Leif eyed Nash. "What do you know of the Flatlanders?"

He sighed and rubbed the back of his neck. When he opened his mouth to speak, I interrupted. "I'll explain everything soon. The Prophet has information on the Flatlanders." I held Leif's arm. "Let's talk on the road."

Nash watched me, looking surprised.

Leif didn't seem satisfied, but he did nod. He would never accept Nash if he knew the truth, not when he was still suspicious of him anyway. I'd cover for Nash, for now. Though I had concerns of my own, I did believe that I could kill Nash myself if he stepped out of line. And I had the help of Leif and Wren now. If he truly hated the Prophet as much as he said, then we needed him. Plus, Flare could cause problems if I ditched Nash. Concern churned in my gut as I reasoned with myself, because it was starting to sound an awful lot like rationalizations, and if I had to keep it a secret from Leif, then maybe it meant I was being a fool.

As we walked, I remembered what Nash had said after we sparred. He felt like we'd met in a dream he couldn't remember. I knew that feeling so well. Maybe it was why I couldn't send him away. Or maybe it was a much more pathetic reason. My head was spinning with worry.