: ̗̀➛ 𝗧𝗪𝗢 devi's brain gets a sneak peek (spoiler alert: it's not pretty)

edited

┌── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──┐

Dr. Thorn was fast.

Devi's leg had fallen asleep from the burning of the poison. She could fight somewhat well in order to defend herself but to defend the other three was a whole other thing. There was no way she and Percy could fight off Dr. Thorn by themselves. It was obvious that he was some sort of strong monster.

"What are you doing, Jackson?" hissed Dr. Thorn. "Keep Moving!"

Next to her, Percy was slowly shuffling forward as his eyes kept fluttering open and close. "It's my shoulder. It burns."

Devi realized what he was doing and started to put more of an oomph in her limp to make it look like it hurt badly. "Yeah, I can barely walk."

"Bah! My poison causes pain. It will not kill you. Walk!"

Thorn herded them outside and into the woods. They took a snowy path dimly lit by old-fashioned lamplight. The cold wind started to blow harder, causing Devi's scratch to sting and the rest of her body to shiver. She tried to hug herself to create warmth, but it was too cold to even move her arms.

"There is a clearing ahead," Thorn said. "We will summon your ride."

"What ride?" Bianca demanded. "Where are you taking us?"

"Silence, you insufferable girl!"

"Don't talk to my sister that way" Nico said. his voice quivered out of fear as he took a step forward. Afraid that something would happen to him, Devi put a hand on the boy's shoulder as a warning to not provoke the monster.

Dr. Thorn made a growling sound that definitely wasn't human. It made the hairs stand up on the back of Devi's neck. She kept trudging behind him, pretending to be a good little captive. 

"Halt," Thorn said.

The woods opened up. They had reached a cliff overlooking the sea. At least, Devi thought the sea was down there, hundreds of feet below. The sound of the waves churning and the cold salt smell invaded her senses, but all there was to see was mist and darkness.

Dr. Thorn pushed the demigods toward the edge. Percy had stumbled, and Devi instinctively held out a hand to catch him.

"Thanks," He murmured. 

Sure, they both hated—no, strongly disliked—one other, but they wouldn't let each other die.

"What type of monster do you think he is?" Percy whispered to her.

"I...I have no idea."

Nico mumbled, "I'm scared." He was fiddling with something—a little metal toy soldier of some kind.

"We'll get to safety soon," Devi promised. It sounded like she was trying to reassure herself.

"Stop talking!" Dr. Thorn said. "Face me!"

They turned.

Thorn's two-tone eyes glittered hungrily. He pulled something from under his coat. At first, Devi thought it was a switchblade, but it was only a phone. He pressed the side button and said, "The package—it is ready to deliver." There was a garbled reply and then Dr. Thorn stuffed it back under his coat.