Chapter Sixteen

Maya's POV

I feel myself drifting back into consciousness, the fog of sleep slowly lifting. My eyes flutter open to the dim light of the apartment. For a moment, I'm disoriented, unsure of where I am. Then I remember – I'm safe, at Max's apartment with Mason.

I turn my head slightly and see Mason beside me, still deep in sleep. His face looks peaceful, a stark contrast to the worry that usually clouds his features. I reach out and gently touch his hand, seeking comfort in his presence. The warmth of his skin reassures me, grounding me in the present.

The poetry book we found earlier lies open on the couch, a silent testament to our afternoon. I can't remember falling asleep, but the nap has left me feeling a bit more refreshed, even if the remnants of the nightmare still cling to the edges of my mind.

The room is quiet, save for the soft hum of the refrigerator and the distant sounds of the city outside. It's a peaceful kind of quiet, one that feels foreign but welcome. I take a deep breath, trying to shake off the last vestiges of sleep. As I do, I catch the faint scent of pancakes from breakfast, a comforting reminder of the morning spent with my brothers.

I carefully sit up, not wanting to disturb Mason. My movements are slow, as I stretch out the stiffness from my nap. The apartment feels like a safe haven, a place where the horrors of our past can't reach us. I take another deep breath, feeling a sense of calm settle over me.

Mason stirs beside me, his eyes slowly opening. He blinks a few times, then looks at me with a sleepy smile. "Hey, Maya. Did you sleep well?"

I nod, offering a small smile in return. "Y-Yeah, it was n-nice."

He stretches, yawning as he sits up. "I'm glad. We both needed that rest."

We sit in comfortable silence for a few moments, letting the lingering drowsiness fade away. The late afternoon light filters through the curtains, casting a warm glow over the room. It's a gentle reminder that time is passing, that the day is moving forward.

"M-Masey, c-can we d-do something t-today? I n-need to d-distract m-myself," I ask, my voice still shaky.

Mason looks at me, concern etched on his face. "Of course, Maya. What do you want to do?"

"I-I d-don't kn-know. S-something fun?" I suggest, hoping for an idea.

Mason thinks for a moment, then his face lights up. "How about we go to the park? The one we visited with Max. It's a nice day, and it might be good for us to get some fresh air."

I nod, feeling a mix of excitement and apprehension. The park was a peaceful place, and I could use a change of scenery. "O-Okay, th-that s-sounds n-nice."

We gather a few things: a blanket, some water, and the poetry book. Mason holds my hand as we leave the apartment, his grip reassuring. The walk to the park is short, but each step feels like a small victory.

The park is alive with activity. Children are playing, dogs are running around, and people are enjoying the sunshine. We find a quiet spot under a large tree and spread out the blanket. I sit down, feeling the grass beneath me and the gentle breeze on my face. It's calming.

Mason sits beside me and opens the poetry book. "Do you want to read some more poems?" he asks.

I nod, but before he starts reading, I notice a small group of kids playing with a frisbee nearby. I watch them for a moment, feeling a pang of longing. I never got to experience that kind of carefree play.

"M-Masey, d-did y-you ever w-want to p-play like th-that?" I ask, gesturing towards the kids.

Mason looks at them, a sad smile on his face. "Yeah, I did. But we never had the chance, did we?"