Chapter Twenty

Third Person POV

The morning sunlight filtered through the curtains, casting a warm glow over the small apartment. It had been a couple of weeks since Max had sent off his 23andMe DNA test, and life had settled into a routine for him and his siblings, Mason and Maya. Despite the lingering shadows of their past, they were finding moments of peace and normalcy.

Max was the first to wake up. He quietly slipped out of bed and made his way to the kitchen. Cooking breakfast had become his daily ritual, a way to start the day on a positive note and show his siblings that they were safe and cared for. Today, he decided to make pancakes, hoping to bring a smile to their faces.

As he mixed the batter, he glanced over at Mason and Maya, still asleep on the pull-out couch. Maya had been having more nightmares recently, and her sleep was often restless. Max worried about her but tried to provide as much comfort and support as he could.

The smell of pancakes soon filled the apartment, and Mason began to stir. He opened his eyes and blinked sleepily at the ceiling before turning his head to see Max at the stove.

"Morning, Max," Mason said, his voice still thick with sleep.

"Morning, Mason," Max replied with a smile. "Breakfast will be ready soon. Can you wake Maya?"

Mason nodded and gently shook his sister's shoulder. "Maya, wake up. Max is making pancakes."

Maya groaned softly, her eyes fluttering open. She looked around the room, momentarily disoriented, before focusing on her brothers. A small smile crept onto her face as the familiar scent of pancakes reached her nose.

"M-Morning," she mumbled, sitting up and rubbing her eyes.

"Good morning, Maya," Max said, bringing a plate of pancakes to the table. "Come on, let's eat."

The three of them sat down to breakfast, the mood light and relaxed. They chatted about little things, trying to keep the conversation pleasant and free of any heavy topics. It was a small slice of normal life, and they all cherished it.

After breakfast, Max suggested they spend the day indoors. The weather was gloomy, with rain tapping against the windows, making it the perfect day to stay cozy inside. They decided to have a movie marathon, something they had come to enjoy as a way to bond and relax together.

Max and Mason set up the living room with blankets and pillows, creating a comfortable nest for them to lounge in. Maya picked out the first movie, a lighthearted animated film that promised plenty of laughs. As the movie played, Maya snuggled closer to Max, feeling safe and content in the warmth of their little family cocoon.

They watched movie after movie, the hours slipping by in a haze of laughter and popcorn. During the third movie, Maya dozed off, her head resting on Max's shoulder. He glanced down at her, his heart aching with love and worry. He knew the nightmares were taking a toll on her, and he wished he could do more to help.

Mason noticed Max's pensive expression and leaned over. "She's been having more nightmares, hasn't she?"

Max nodded, careful not to wake Maya. "Yeah, she has. I wish I knew how to make them stop."

Mason sighed, his own face reflecting the weight of their shared burden. "We just have to be there for her. Let her know she's safe."

Max gave a small, grateful smile. "Thanks, Mason. You're right."

As the rain continued to fall outside, they decided to take a break from the movies and have lunch. Max prepared sandwiches while Mason set the table. When Maya woke up, she joined them, her cheeks flushed from sleep.