Chapter Twenty Four

Angelo's POV

This Saturday morning, I wasn't expecting to wake up to a message from a boy named Max. The DNA test says we're cousins, and DNA does not lie. My older brother Valentino and I are the only siblings who have taken a DNA test, so I go find him.

Valentino is sitting on a sofa in one of our entertainment rooms, his phone on his side, he's watching television.

"Good morning fratello, you need to check your 23andMe now." (brother)

Valentino pauses his show, opens up his phone, and asks, "Why?"

"Just do it, check your new matches and see if you've gotten a message."

I'm looking over his shoulder, and that Max person pops up on his screen. They share 12.5% DNA, and Valentino has an unread message from him.

"Who is this Max person?" Valentino asks me.

"23andMe says he's our first cousin. See what he wrote you."

Valentino opens the direct message, which is almost identical to the one Max sent me. The message Max sent me said:

"Hi Angelo,

My name is Max. We've never met but this DNA result says we're first cousins. I do not know a lot about my mother or father's side of the family. Heck, I didn't know I was even Italian!

I would like to get to know you! I don't know whose side you're from but let's talk.

Thanks,

Max"

We craft out our responses that are similar but different. I tell Max my age, where we're from, and ask him about himself. Valentino tells Max about our family and mentions that we've never heard of a Max.

We hang out watching TV for a couple more hours after sending our messages off, for my iPhone to light up with a 23andMe notification, saying that Max has sent me a message.

"Hi Angelo and Valentino,

I'm surprised you've never heard of us. To be honest, we've never heard of you guys until yesterday.

I'm 18 years old, and I have two younger siblings. Their names are Mason and Maya, they are twins and 15 years old. We've lived out here in Colorado for as long as we remember. Denver is the city! I work at a small diner to earn cash for living expenses. It's tough but I get by.

My siblings are studying for school and like to read and draw.

Valentino, you mentioned another set of cousins? We didn't match with them on here. Maybe they're through a different side of the family, and we're just the weird long lost cousins. Or did they not do a DNA test like you both did?

And so what my siblings and I are understanding, we have 5 cousins from your side so far. You two, Luca, Domenico, and Armando. Interesting! We didn't know we had cousins from either parental side.

Looking forward to continue chatting!

-Max, Mason, and Maya"

Holy shit, there's three of them?

"We need to go find Armando, now, and show him this." Valentino announces.

"Why?" I ask.

"Because I think this is something deeper than it is. This is going to be a huge family matter."

Valentino drags me to Armando's bedroom, where he's reading one of his many law books. Don't know how he's entertained by that.

"Armando, we need to talk. It's important. It's about family." Valentino speaks.