Playing a dangerous game

*angst*
The first day she had met him was one she wouldn't forget. "Hands up Vance don't make this any harder"

she couldn't believe her eyes after all she thought he was a myth but there he was kneeled knuckles bloody and obviously fuming. She didn't know pinball Vance hopper would be so pretty!? She heard about him at her school even though she never went to school where he did. she wasn't even that close to their side of town! The reason she was there  is because she was a junior cop, not really she was only 16 she just sat with her godfather all day and watched how he did it. But it was her one step closer to being a cop.  Kidnapping was starting to become really serious during the 70s and since one of her cousins were subject to a kidnapping and still not found she knew she had to find him. One way or another, of course at her age she had to take the long and harder route which was becoming a cop.  Atleast she would have a lot more backup when she found the guy. Till then she watched her godfather bust Amateurs.

My godfather navigated to Vance who already knew the routine. He stood with a grumble while my godfather hooked hand cuffs on his wrists before shoving him out the door. I stood there drawing on my notepad. "Taking notes?" My godfather chuckled my way waving me to open the door for him. I held it open locking eyes with an angry Vance hopper his glare making me redirect my eyes. I sit myself in the front seat while my godfather rounds the car tugging the fuming boy with him. We start driving as I take short glances to the boy behind me who's staring out the window. "What are you looking at?" He grumbles with his arms crossed. I quickly turn around pretending to be highly interested in the tilted tree outside the window. When we drop him off at the station my godfather brings him In the room drilling him on his behavior.  I watch intently not interested in the heated convo instead Vance's  heated stare. Whenever he rolls his eyes my way I look down and fiddle with the pen in my hands that's barely been used. Finally in the end he got let free because they were tired of seeing him but not before he told  me. "Stop staring at people weirdly, don't you know what peripheral vision is"  he blurted before leaving the station.

Over the next few months I saw Vance hopper more than my own dog. It went from short stares to few words to full sentences! I'd be chilling in my godfathers office and in he'd come with a fresh bruise and split knuckles. I'd ask who it was this time, he would tell me, I would go get my godfather, he deals with him and drives him home. Occasionally he would get stuck in a holding cell while we waited for his mom to stop sulking and talk to the officers about all his fights. I would wait with him sitting my back to his cell and he had no choice but to talk to me his back to the cell too. At first it was about nothing, the weather, favorite colors, a whole bunch of hearing me talk. then I found out how much he liked rock music and guitars, and how he saw Jon Bon Jovi one time when he was younger and decided that was gonna be him one day, Obviously he started with the hair. I told him my dreams of being a cop and why. We threw jokes around and slowly they turned more flirty.
I came into grab n go and watched him play acting like my house wasn't miles away and I hadn't rode my bike to see him. He would come just to hangout at the station with me and watch my uncle work. I couldn't help the feelings for him snaking up in my chest though I tried to deny it. I mean me who's a future cop dating a guy who's been in a cop car more than men twice his age? How strange would that be... But I didn't care one bit in fact loved every second of it.

This month though I'd saw Vance WAYYY more than expected. It was like every week he was back at the office, for beating up the same guy named moose. by the end of the month they scheduled  a visit to his house while Vance was in a holding cell... again I sat there with him. "Why do you keep beating this guy up Vance" I sigh in disappointment. "It's just- he thinks he's so tough cause he's tall, he thinks he's so cool being horrible person. But really  he's just a dumb, ugly, fat fucking abusive shithead" he spews anger seething from hug tongue but then I hear a sniff and I can't help but turn around slightly. "This isn't about moose is it?" I frown more, I'm pretty sure everyone in this town suspected something was going on at Vances home but ignored it. I'm glad me and my godfather weren't ignoring people and I couldn't ignore him now, this was obviously a cry for help, literally and I hope my godfather sees his parents  for who they really are.  I hop up and grab the key out of pure instinct before  realizing I could get in trouble for letting him out while I'm training. Though i had my doubts I kicked them aside "just this once" I open up the cell parting us and throw my arms around him. He didn't hug back he just stayed still in my arms. I knew I shouldn't have but my heart was bigger than letting someone sit in a cold cell for almost no reason.