Chapter 11: Enigma of the Glyphs

Flint could be seen walking through the market with his hands in his jacket pockets. As he walked, he was listening to his music with both earbuds in and doing a combination of humming and singing along to it under his breath.

"...Can't you see now, illusions. Right into your mind?..." Flint sang along.

Right now, the boy was heading to meet up with Amity to retrieve Luz's Azura book. Luz was supposed to come too, and he even tried to get her attention earlier, but he ultimately decided to give up and go on ahead. Luz was so engrossed in trying to prepare by reading everything she could about Hexside and the enrollment, enough to the point she'd somehow completely tuned his voice out.

"...I've just been in this place before..." Flint continued singing under his breath.

Honestly, he wasn't quite sure what track to choose for Hexside. All of them had their own unique perks, with so many ways to mix and match them. Of course, there was also the fact that like Eda, he knew that this system was wrong and that the tracks in particular felt rather...nuanced.

Abomination, Bard, Beast Keeping, Construction, Healing, Illusion, Oracle, Plant, and Potions. Out of those nine, he could really only see Beast Keeping, Healing, and Oracle being the ones that truly deserved their dedication. Bard and Illusion were the ones that seemed the most compatible if merged, after all, what better way to make a proper performance than to have both audio and video? Abomination, Construction, and Plant all felt way too limiting, and then Potions just felt more like an overall profession rather than something to dedicate as its own separate branch.

The thing that alerted him the most was the lack of a coven simply meant for the elements and the mere existence of the Emperor's Coven. No matter how many times he thought about it, it just felt like alarms were ringing in his head. He had a theory. If people like Eda were called wild witches...wouldn't the opposite be a controlled witch?

"Flint!"

Flint heard someone calling his name and turned to the source, pulling the earbud out of his left side in the process. He saw Luz running up to him, so he proceeded to stop his music and put his earbuds away.

"I take it you finally remembered?" Flint asked.

Luz had to take a moment to catch her breath, putting her hands on her knees before looking up at Flint angrily. "Why didn't you say something?!"

"I did. Several times, in fact." Flint pointed out.

"...oh," Luz said, an embarrassed blush making itself known on her face.

Flint rolled his eyes at his friend's antics. In doing so, he noticed a familiar figure in the distance. "Oh hey, there she is," Flint said, pointing over at Amity who was waiting nearby.

Luz turned and saw it was true, and bolted past Flint toward the girl. "Hey, Amity! Luz is finally here!"

Before she could reach her though, Flint watched as two other familiar figures jumpscared her.

"Hi, Luz!" Edric and Emira greeted, popping up in front of Luz

Luz yelped in surprise at their sudden appearance, flailing her arms as she fell backward. Luckily, she felt Flint's hand on the back of her head, preventing her from falling on her back but making no effort to help her correct herself.

The twins laughed as Amity walked over and cut between the two.

"Edric! Emira! Stop bothering her!" Amity chastised as she held her hand out and helped Luz fully get back on her feet. "Sorry, they insisted on coming for some reason."