Chapter 10: "I'm sure it'll be fine"

Flint, Eda, and Luz could be seen on a bench as they watched King playing with a bunch of toddlers on a Slayground in the middle of Bonesborough. Some of them Flint recognized from Amity reading to them back at the library. Honestly, the name of the place didn't surprise Flint at this point, though the sign sitting right behind them certainly did. It said 'ALL BLOODTHIRSTY MONSTERS MUST BE LEASHED'.

Luz was sitting to his left and looking on with worry while Eda was completely calm.

"What if he gets hurt? What if the kids are mean to him?" Luz gasped. "My parental instincts are freaking out, man," Luz said nervously.

Flint leveled a deadpan look at her before reaching up and flicking her forehead.

"OW! What was that for?" Luz yelped, rubbing the spot.

"Firstly, you're more like the older sister. Second, he's fine..." Flint said nonchalantly. Then his expression turned dark. "But if anything happens to him, the perpetrator's free trial of life is going to expire," Flint said menacingly.

"I'm with Flint, on both accounts. He's fine. Look at him." Eda agreed before gesturing to him as he tried to climb the slide from the opposite side.

"It does look like he's having fun," Luz admitted. "I wonder what cute little game he's playing." Luz pondered.

King reaches the top of the slide and pumps his arms in the air triumphantly. "Yes! Yes! This is a throne worthy of a tyrant. Bow to me, you snotty underlings. Bow!" King demanded, causing Flint to snort. Of course he'd be trying to make himself out as their superior and try to order him around as the power-hungry little guy he was.

Flint watched as one of the other kids did a handstand while the other did a backbend. Then he looked back at King only to do a double take as a snot-nosed kid (literally. There was a giant glob that seemed to be perpetually hanging from his nose) suddenly appeared behind him.

"Yes, appease your master," King said evilly as he rubbed his paws together, still unaware of the presence behind him.

"This isn't for standing, it's for sliding. You try." Snot-nose said as he shoved King down the slide, causing him to tumble down and land with a THUMP.

King then came running over to the bench and clings to Flint's leg. "Eda! That monster took my throne."

Eda just raised a brow at him. "You mean the baby?" Eda said, not concerned.

"No, the usurper. I want you to go over there and blow him up. Kaboom!" King pointed at Snot-nose, who was riding a spring rider without a care in the world.

"Kaboom!" The kid said, not appearing to care.

Eda just shook her head as she unscrewed Owlbert from her staff. "Yeah, I'm not using Owlbert to blow up a five-year-old. He's got better things to do. Like this..." Eda said, petting his stomach and eliciting the owl to warble.

"Aw, what a sweetie. How did you get him?" Luz asked.

"Get? I made Owlbert from the branch of an ancient tree." Eda revealed as Owlbert hopped onto Eda's hand as she let him up and onto her shoulder. "Oh, he's my palisman and we're bonded for life. I'd annihilate anyone who'd hurt him." Eda said darkly as Owlbert nuzzled against Eda's neck.

Luz and Flint looked on in surprise. She made Owlbert?

King became grumpy though, not noticing Snot-nose coming up behind him. "Fine. Don't help. Revenge will taste all the sweeter if they fall by my hand alone." King cackled.