Daddy

I held my breath as we pulled into the driveway of the house in Springfield.

Mason had made arrangements to drive me out here after the results from the paternity test came back positive.

"You doing ok?" Mason asked, putting the car in park and turning off the engine.

I nodded without saying a word.

As we walked up the steps of the cute little craftsman style home, I could feel my heart pounding in my chest.

We stopped at the door. Mason took my hand. I looked at him and smiled.

"You ready?" He asked.

"I'm ready."

He rang the doorbell and after a few short seconds the door opened.

The man standing there in front of me, was my father. It had been confirmed. He looked at me with tears in his eyes.

"You're finally here. Please come in." He said.

We made our way through the foryer and into the living room. Mason leaned against the door way to give us some space while we talked.

I'm Reed." He said.

"I'm Lily."

Reed scanned my face and seemed taken back for a moment.

"You look just like your mother." He said. His voice broke at the end.

"Lily, you  may not believe me but.....I had no idea about you." He began

"Cathrine and I, we were very young when we met."

"It's ok. We don't have to talk about that now." I said.

"I...I just don't want you to think I abandoned you. I would never do that. I swear I would have been there had I known it."

"To be fair, I never knew about you either." I said.

Reed nodded and smiled.

"I'm just so glad to know you now. And I'd love to be your dad, if you'll allow me to be." He said.

I blinked back the tears that were forming in my eyes. After years and years of abuse, I finally have a way out. I can be free from the Mahoney's. I can be with my family. With my dad.

"I'd like more than anything." I said, as I ran into his arms.

He hugged me tight as the tears rolled down my cheeks.

I could hear him crying too.

"I love you so much my beautiful Lily." He said.

"I love you too daddy." I said, as he cried harder.

Mason and I stayed there all day getting to know Reed. And after a few hours Mrs Watson came home with the children.

I loved getting acquainted with my younger siblings. Cade was ten and loved playing football. He was about to start sixth grade in a few weeks. And Ellie was eight. She loved my little pony and American girl dolls. She reminded me a lot of myself when I was younger.

It was like a dream come true. Everything I had ever wanted was right in front of me. And for the first time in a long time, I felt the love of a family, my family.

"Lily." Reed said smiling.

He wrapped an arm around his wife and they both smiled at me.

"Erin and I, we'd love to have you stay here with us, you could finish out school and you'd have your own room." He said excitedly.

I thought for a moment, and looked over at Mason. He gave me a small smile. But I could see the sadness in his eyes.

"Can I have a few minutes to think about it?" I asked.

"Sure, sweetheart. Take your time." Reed said.

"We'll be in the kitchen if you need us."

"Come on guys, let go start dinner." Erin said to Cade and Ellie.

"Thank you." I said as they left the room.

I walked over to Mason and put my arms around him. He smiled and down at me and sat his arms on my shoulders.

"So, I guess this is goodbye?" I said tears forming in my eyes.

"For now." He said.

"But I don't want it to be." I said.

"I'll only be a phone call away."

"That's too far." I said, as the tears started to spill over my eyes.

Mason brought his hands up on each side of my face and brushed the tears away with his thumbs.

"Lily, you finally have the chance to live a life you deserve. You're gonna have school and friends and I'm sure you'll forget all about me." He chuckled.

"No, I won't." I said.

"You...you're the reason I have this chance. You saved my life that night, you kept me safe, you found my dad. You kept your promise to me. I could never forget that." I continued.

"You're my hero." I whispered.

"And you're mine, Lily." He said kissing my forehead as he turned to leave.

"Mason." I called after him.

He turned to face me.

"Yeah."

"Don't be a stranger." I said.

He smiled.

"I wouldn't dream of it."