The Talk

When Harry first woke up it took him a few minutes to remember how and why he was laying in his Gryffindor four-poster bed at Hogwarts. Then the pervious night's battle replayed in his mind. He quickly shut off the mental images that started to bombard in his head. After regaining control over his beating heart, he then sat up in bed and decided to get ready for the day.

The first thing that Harry did was get up and have a much-needed shower. After the rejuvenating shower, his thought process became much sharper and clearer.

Automatically, Harry's head turned to look at Ron's empty bed beside his own. He was surprised to find that it was a made bed. That piqued his interest. Where had Ron gone and where had he slept during the night before if not in his own bed?

He thought back to the might before. After leaving Dumbledore's office, Ron and Hermione followed Harry to the common room, hand in hand. When they arrived there, Harry called for Kreacher and asked him to supply them with food that was within easy access and to send it to them directly. After Harry had had his fill, he'd told Ron and Hermione that he would be heading up stairs for the night. Harry remembered that Ron had vaguely said something about talking with Hermione for a few more minutes, but would be right up.

As Harry made his way downstairs and into the common room, he glanced toward the couch next to the fireplace and was pleasantly unsurprised to see Ron and Hermione curled up innocently together there. Harry suspected that they had accidentally fallen asleep after they had talked the previous night.

But he was surprised to spot a tangle of long red hair peeking out from over the edge of his favourite chair placed next to the fireplace. After a moment the red head in question started to move and Harry smoothly walked over to the chair and picked up the hand that was dangling from off the edge of the chair and lightly squeezed it.

Ginny's whole body started in surprise and her head shot up from among the curtain of brilliant copper hair. The bright brown eyes met glittering green in an instant. The gaze was steady and unwavering, but then broke when Harry looked away and Ginny spoke quietly first.

"Is it really you, Harry? Or am I still sleeping?"

Harry looked back to her face and then onto their linked hands, he squeezed her hand gently and then kissed her softly for a few seconds.

"Does that answer your question, Ginny?" he whispered back, not wanting to wake his two best friends that were still sleeping in the room. Ginny nodded her head mutely but then said. "Yes, but.." her voice trailed off.

"But?" Harry prompted.

"Could we talk somewhere a bit more private?" she said tilting her head toward the couch, not five feet away.

"Where's you cloak?"

"What?" Ginny was jolted again, that was not what she had been expecting.

"Your cloak, where is it? I've got an idea,"

"It's somewhere near the Room of Requirements, I took it off during the battle so I won't be encumbered by its bulk." she answered a little bemused.

"I'll summon it, shall I?" he asked and was given a nod in agreement and then he raised his wand and wordlessly summoned her cloak.

A few minutes later the portrait hole opened enough to admit the article in question and it soared gracefully in his outstretched hand.