16, worst case scenario

❝the truth is i am a toy that people enjoy'til all of the tricks don't work anymoreand then they are bored of mei know that it's exciting running through the night, butevery perfect summer's eating me alive until you're gonebetter on my own❞

'til all of the tricks don't work anymore
and then they are bored of me
i know that it's exciting running through the night, but
every perfect summer's eating me alive until you're gone
better on my own❞

-liability, lorde

chapter sixteen, WORST CASE SCENARIO

 This might have been the dumbest thing Talia Anderson had ever done in her entire life. Truly, breaking into Tannyhill could possibly be the dumbest thing she'd ever do.

No one was home, midsummer still lively and swarmed with kooks. Perhaps the only time she would ever remotely be able to attempt what she was about to do.

The girl snuck around the house, heading towards the back patio. If there were any doors unlocked, it would be that one. As if her plan had been heard and discovered the door was locked, sealing the plat map inside and leaving Talia out in the cool summer winds.

She cursed to herself. This was stupid anyway, it wouldn't work. And besides, what had John Booker Routledge ever done for her that would warrant her risking her life for him?

This was stupid. She reminded herself, her head tipped back in frustration. Maybe she'd just meet him at the Hawks nest empty-handed and try to come up with a plan then. Who was she kidding? She wasn't getting involved. Maybe she'd just ghost him.

Maybe, wait-. Was that an opened window?

Talia's eyes steadied on the open bedroom window from Sarah's room. She came back down from talking herself out of doing anything stupid, her mind flooded with just how possible this might be. Dumb, albeit possible.

The girl tried not to think about what charges she could land for simply climbing onto the awning and hoisting herself into the open window. Tried to keep her mind from dwelling on the fact that she was indeed breaking and entering. But when her feet planted on Sarah Cameron's bedroom floor she couldn't stop herself from freaking out.

Talia Anderson was officially a criminal. She had broken at least two laws just entering the house and was about to add another. Theft. As the daughter of a police officer, she really should know better. All she could hear was the words of judgment that would come from others.

Well, she thought. She already committed the crime. No matter if she made it out with the plat map or not, she could still be charged just for getting into the house. She had already done the damage. Might as well get what she came for.

Ward's office seemed to be the smartest decision, the most likely place for any of that to be hidden. Her eyes scanned the room, she had just been in there days before with John B. She tried to clear her mind and focus on what she was looking for.