004

The noises stopped, the shadows stilled. For a moment, all was silent. Then, from the undergrowth, a figure stepped into view.

Jake's eyes widened as he saw your face emerge from the shadows. "Elowyn!" he exclaimed, lowering his sword in surprise. "What in the gods' names are you doing out here at this time of night?"

You looked up at him, your face a mix of surprise and relief. "I could ask you the same question," you said, a hint of humor in your voice.

Jake couldn't help but smile, his initial shock giving way to relief that you were safe and unharmed. "I was looking for you," he admitted, sheathing his sword. "But, why?" You asked.

Jake took a few steps towards you, the last traces of tension leaving his body. "I need to talk to you," he said simply. "It's about a matter of some importance." You are as clueless as a newborn child, "Of what matters?"

Jake frowned, feeling slightly offended. "There's no need to be insulting," he said, his tone slightly sharp. "I have a proposition for you."

"I am no insulting anyone even your shaking shadow, Your Grace."

Jake rolled his eyes, slightly annoyed at your playful teasing. "Very witty," he said dryly. "Now, are you going to listen to what I have to say, or are you going to continue to be cheeky?"

You rolled your eyes and crossed your arms. "Shall you tell me that while we're walking through this forest?"

Jake let out a sigh, feeling a bit annoyed by your stubbornness. "Fine," he said, gesturing for you to start walking. "We'll walk and talk. But only if you promise to behave yourself for once."

You gave him a look and silent gesture of zipping your mouth shut. Jake chuckled despite himself. Despite your flippant attitude, he knew you were actually quite intelligent and insightful. He began walking beside you, keeping an eye out for any signs of danger.

"So," he began, breaking the silence. "You know the situation with the rebels, right?" You just nod with his question.

"Well, I had a meeting with my lords today," Jake explained, his voice serious. "We're at a bit of an impasse. The rebels won't stop being stubborn, and we're no closer to resolving this conflict."

Jake sighed, his frustration clear on his face. "It's not good," he said. "If we can't find a way to negotiate, we could be looking at a full-scale rebellion. And if that happens, it could lead to civil war."

"That's a dire prospect," you replied, your voice reflecting concern. "Is there anything we can do to prevent it?"

Jake glanced at you, seeing the genuine concern in your eyes. "That's where you come in," he said, his voice taking on a more hopeful tone. "I have an idea, but I'll need your help. And I have to say, it's a bit... unusual."

"I can make myself useful." You replied straight forwardly.

Jake smiled slightly, encouraged by your enthusiasm. "Good," he said. "Because I need someone who can think outside the box, someone who can approach this problem from a different angle. Someone like you."

Jake took a deep breath, steeling himself for your reaction. "I want you to come to the castle and help with the negotiations," he said, trying to gauge your response.

"Alright, I'm in. Let's see where things naturally lead, shall we?" With that, you take his right arm in your hands and head towards the forest.

As you walk, you mention that you need first to bid farewell to your mother, but of course, being careful not to disclose everything Jake discussed with you.