eighteen

Another month passed, and things couldn't be any more different. Monse was in Brentwood living with her mom and her new friends. She tried to call me as much as she could, but it still wasn't often. 

I'd be lying if I didn't resent her just a little bit for it. But it was her choice and her life. Hell, I'd take Brentwood over Freeridge any day. 

She and Cesar were broken up, and he was taking it a lot harder than her. After Jamal and I slept together, he had to get home. When he got home, Cesar was just on the bed crying. I called Monse to hear her side of it, and I couldn't say I blamed her. Cesar shouldn't have given her that ultimatum.

Jamal and I were doing well. And Monse was right: The sex does get easier and better. And Jamal was finally starting to mellow out despite the whole "Rollerworld Curse."

________________________________________________________________

I was washing the dishes after lunch when Izabel came inside with Angelica, who I hadn't seen in forever. 

"Angelica!" I said, dropping my rag and running over to hug her. 

"Hey, lil sis!" she said, "Holy crap, you've grown!"

I'd grown two or three inches since the last time I saw her. I was taller than everyone in my family except my dad, who was 6'1". My mom and Izabel were respectively 5'4" and 5'7", and I just reached 5'9". I could probably grow another inch too.

"Yo, AJ," Izabel said, "Wanna come to a party?"

I pointed to my baggy t-shirt and leggings.

"Well, go get changed. Duh!" she said.

"Whose party is it?" I said, "And where's Omar?"

"I dumped his ass," Izabel said, "Don't ask. And it's a Santos party."

A Santos party didn't seem like an ideal way to spend my afternoon, but it was better than spending it at home doing nothing. 

"Fine. Gimme ten."

___________________________________________________

We got there and Spooky greeted Izabel with a hug and a kiss on the cheek. 

"What was that about?" I said. 

"None of your business," Izabel said before laughing, "Oh my god. Can't believe that loser's here."

I looked over and saw Mario and Ruby. What the hell were either of them doing here?!

"Ruby?" I said.

"AJ?" Ruby said.

"Why are you here?" I said.

"Spooky dragged me here," Ruby said, "I don't wanna be here- wait."

Ruby walked over to the liquor table, and I joined him to take a shot of tequila. I expected him to have a drink, but instead, he went all Ruby on the table and started organizing the apps which were chips and guac. 

The shot gave me enough confidence to go up to Spooky and talk to him. I grabbed a corona fro extra confidence.

"Yo," I said, "Can I speak with you?"

"What's up?" Spooky said.

"What are your intentions with my sister?" I said.

Spooky laughed, "I don't see why that's got anything to do with you, little lady."

"BECAUSE SHE'S MY SISTER!" I said, "Look, who you sleep with ain't my business unless it's my family. She deserves better than you. So, just- leave her alone, goddamn!" 

Spooky laughed again before looking me dead in the eyes, "You better watch your mouth. If you weren't Izabel's kid sister, I'd kick the crap out of you."

"You think you scare me?" I said, "You don't!"

"Ok," Spooky said, "You got a boyfriend, right?"

"Yeah?" I said.

"So, you know that relationships aren't easy."

I nodded.

"You know that a lot of shit goes down," he continued, "Shit gets complicated. I care about your sister, ok? I've fucked up more times than I should've. But we're working it out. I don't wanna hurt her again."

I crossed my arms, "How do I know you're not lying?"

"You don't," he said, "Just trust that I got this, ok? And worry about yourself."

_____________________________________________________

Hours passed, and it was dark out. I was a fair few drinks in too, so there were a lot of things not registering. 

Ruby grabbed the mic and said a few thank yous to people, starting with Spooky for making him come. And then me.

"To AJ!" he said, "You're the realest friend out there. And to you and Jamal. I couldn't be more happy for the two of you. Obrigada querido!"

I laughed.

"Oh!" he said, "I  also wanna give a shout-out to my big brother, Mario."

Mario was in the crowd with his arm around Angelica. Looks like they were back together? I wonder if she knew about the baby.

"I love you! And thank you for making me an uncle in the next couple of months!"

Angelica pushed him off, "You're gonna have a baby?!"

"Yeah, I'm gonna be a dad."

She slapped him hard, making everyone react. I laughed super hard. Fucker deserved that. 

Izabel ran after Angelica while Ruby continued. He started rapping for everyone and surprisingly it was really good. 

I clapped and cheered.

"Prophets suck! Prophets suck!" Everyone chanted.

One of the Santos came up front, "Yo, let's go roll up on these fools!"

Everyone left except for Ruby, me, Izabel, and Mario. Mario held a cold beer up to his cheek.

"You're a huge prick," Izabel said, "I hope you know that."

"Now's not a good time, Iz," Mario said, "I think the truce was just broken."

"Oh, fuck," she said, "Ok, Ari, we gotta go."

"Yea, let's go," Mario said, taking Ruby. 

All things aside,  it was still a pretty fun night. 

Iz and I got home, and my head was spinning. 

"Jesus Christ," I said.

"Shh!" Izabel said, "AJ, act sober. Mom and Dad are about to go to bed."

"Ok, ok," I said, "Good night. I'm just gonna have a snack."

"Good night. Love you, bitch," she said.

"Love you too, puta," I said. 

I went to the fridge and grabbed the jar of pickles when Jamal called me.

"Hey," I said, "Babe, I am SO drunk, I-

"We're cursed!!!" Jamal said.

"What?"

"Think about it!" Jamal said, "First, Ruby and Olivia get shot, then Coach busts me, and now something's wrong with Abuelita's fingers! It all makes sense!"

"Shit," I said, "Then I guess uh- now might not be the best time to tell you what happened tonight."

"What happened?"

"Uhhhhhhh," I said, "The Santos and the Prophets might've just broken their truce."