twenty-two (end of s2)

So, you know how Cesar was supposed to be on a bus and leave forever? Turns out that was never the plan. Spooky and Cesar went to confront the Prophets and gave fifty k of our money to them. Well, they were actually a bunch of marked bills, but Spooky still had our money and was not planning on giving it back. 

Safe to say, we were all pissed. Happy that Cesar's alive, but pissed. All of us were there in person except for Monse who didn't want to be in the same room as Cesar after he told her about the other girl.

That other girl happened to be Paula who worked at Dwayne's. She was SUCH a slut.

"Spooky," Monse said, "I did not sign off on my part of that gift to you. Can you just be decent and give it back?"

"No."

"This is bullshit!" she said.

"Look on the bright side. Cesar's alive."

"Hooray! Turn me to him," she ordered as Spooky turned the phone, "You may be alive, but you're dead to me."

"Monse, I am so-

Monse hung up before he could even say sorry.

"Spooky, do you really think giving the Prophets a bunch of marked bills was wise? Once one of their guys gets arrested, they'll know it was you. And by extension, us," Ruby said.

"They would never connect it to you."

"I still don't understand why you needed to cheat us," Jamal said.

"I didn't. I did exactly what you wanted. I saved Cesar."

"Yeah, and you knew that before you took our money!" I said.

 "Your point?"

"Taking our money is unscrupulous!"

"How many times do I have to spell this out for you?!" Spooky said, "Your money is actually my money. It belongs to the Santos."

"Oh yeah?!" I said, "Well, guess what? My father's Ramon Valdez, a former Santo! So, technically, I at least have some right to the money."

"Wait WHAT?!" the three boys said, Spooky not stunned at all.

"That don't count. He left," Spooky said.

Jamal and Ruby started getting into logistics, but they were getting nowhere, so Jamal left and took Ruby and me with him. 

The two of them got into a pointless argument, and I tuned it all out. I just kept walking in the general direction of home while Jamal sped walked, eventually slowing down when he saw how far behind I was. 

"I'm right, right?" Jamal said, "Ruby's being a bitch?"

"Jamal," I said, "I'm not gonna talk about this right now because if I do I'm gonna scream, and you've seen me angry before. Do you really want to poke the bear?"

Jamal shook his head vigorously. 

"Thank you," I said, "You wanna go back to yours and fuck? Could use a good de-stressor."

"When have I ever said no to that?"

________________________________________________

We lay in bed, and I traced shapes on his chest.

"I could fall asleep right now," I said, and just as I said that my phone rang, "Monse's calling. Yo."

"Sorry about earlier. I've been on edge since I found out about this whole Cesar other girl sitch."

"Yeah, that was messed up."