nineteen

The three of us went to visit Monse in Brentwood for the night. Monse looked like a whole new person. Her clothes, her hair, everything.

"They asked me to stay," she said, "This whole month feels like a dream, and I don't know if I'm ready to wake up. But I also don't wanna leave my dad. Or you. What should I do?"

"There is no question," Jamal said.

"Stay!" we all said.

"Seriously?" Monse said, "You're just gonna give me up that easily with no discussion or debate?"

"I was about to," I said, "But then I looked at this place, and I realized I'd never wanna leave if I was you. I mean, look at it!!"

"And," Jamal said, putting his gym bag on the counter, "The money is definitely better off here!"

"What?" Monse said, "You brought the money?! No. I can't keep it. What happened to Abuelita?!"

"The old bag scammed us!" Ruby said, making Jamal offended.

"What? I can say old bag. She's my grandma!" 

"Look, Monse. We just need a secure place to put the money until we can work out a new plan," I said.

"But I invited some friends over."

"Well, uninvite them!! Jamal said.

The doorbell rang, and two girls showed up with food. Monse and I tried to get them to leave nicely, but Ruby and Jamal insisted they stay. I expected this from Ruby, but Jamal?

"Oh my god, you are SO pretty!" the brunette said to me, "I have a friend who would love to meet you."

I laughed nervously, "Thanks, but I have a boyfriend."

I hooked onto Jamal's arm to show that he was my boyfriend. We all sat down and the girls pulled the food out of the bags, which was sushi. I never had sushi, same with Ruby and Jamal. To start off, I tried a California roll. 

"Holy crap," I said, "This is actually pretty good. Texture's throwing me off, though."

"You get used to it," Monse smiled.

Jamal and Ruby were failing miserably at using chopsticks, and I had to try not to laugh.

"You can use your hands," Monse said.

"You know what else you use your hands for? Pizza!"

Jane, the blonde, suggested we get this really fancy pizza with truffle and cauliflower, which neither Jamal or I were on board with, but Ruby was.

"Fine! We'll make a half-truffle concession for you!" Jamal said, "But only because you were shot."

The girls gasped, "You were shot?"

"Almost died. It's no biggie. Happens all the time in Freeridge. Which is why Monse needs to accept the offer to move in."

"Bitch, you're gonna stay?" Sahar said, "Why are you holding out on us?"

"They just asked! Still don't know if I'm gonna do it yet. It's a lot to chew on."

"I think she means she's staying!" I said, "What else do you have to get back to anyway?"

__________________________________________________

After dinner, Ruby was on the couch smoking with the girls while Jamal and I talked to Monse.

"Okay, I don't wanna be lame, but I also don't wanna get in trouble with Julia," Monse said.