twenty-one

Cesar was running out of time, and so were we. He'd gone missing. The last anyone heard from him was a phone call to Monse. Ruby went to go see him at Chivo's after the Prophets rolled up on us, but he left after Ruby went to the bathroom and never came back. 

Monse was trying to stay positive, given his birthday was coming up soon. I wanted to stay positive, but Ruby, Jamal, and I were all on the same wavelength. He was probably dead.

"Look, he went after Latrelle," Ruby said, "Chivo's car was found on 21st, Prophet's territory, and he's been MIA. You do the math."

"He's probably just hiding out," Monse said.

"Hiding out where?!" I said, "And if so, why haven't we at least gotten a text from him?"

"Shut up, AJ!" Monse said.

"We're just being real," Ruby said, "Prophets are ruthless as hell."

"And gang shootings are up 31% this year," Jamal said.

"Ok, stop!" Monse said, "Cesar is fine!"

She stormed off, leaving the three of us behind.

_____________________________________

I went home and cleaned my room when my dad walked in.

"Mi hija," my dad said, "We need to talk."

I put the shirt I was folding down.

"What's wrong?" I said. 

"I heard about the other day. How the Prophets rolled up on you," he said.

I shook my head, "Izabel can't keep her damn mouth shut!"

"Don't be mad at your sister. She did the right thing," my dad said, "Sit down."

I sat down on my bed, and he sat next to me.

"I need to tell you something," he said, "And I should've told you sooner, but I thought it best to wait until you're older."

I raised an eyebrow, curious as to what he had to tell me.

"I was a Santo once," he said.

My eyes widened, "You WHAT?!!"

"Yes," he said, "When I was thirteen, I joined. It wasn't all bad. We were originally created to protect the block from everyone who caused harm to innocent people. It wasn't like it is now, and the Prophets weren't as dangerous as they are now."

"Why did you leave?" I said.

"Because I met your mother," he said, "And she told me if I wanted to stay with her, I'd have to leave. So, we got married, and I had Izabel and you, and everything I could've ever wanted."

I smiled softly before looking down at my hands, "Do you believe Oscar or Cesar could make that change if they wanted to?"

"I don't know, baby," he said, "Cesar's a good kid, but he chose this life. I know his family's been in this life for a long time. I was even homies with his dad. But he did have a choice, he just wasn't willing to own up to the consequences. And Oscar? I don't know. My biggest fear is him getting Izabel into trouble. I did a good job keeping your mother out of all that, but things happen. Your friend, Olivia getting shot, and Ruby. What happened to them was horrible, and I don't ever want Izabel or you to be in situations like that. Which is why I'm imposing a few rules."

My dad pulled out a switchblade, "You need to carry this with you 24/7. Never walk anywhere alone, especially at night. And your curfew is at nine."

"NINE?!" I said.