A Secret

Luke

Inside the airport, somewhere along all the clacking sounds of shoes, the announcements, the chattering of excited bodies meeting their loved ones, you whispered well wishes to him and slowly let go of his hand.

Your (eye color) orbs staring back at his blue ones.

At that moment, it was only the two of you.

It was a long time ago. you said.

I watch him inside the television. How long has it been?

That dusty old box, do you remember? The box you placed under your bed. You picked it up, blew the dusts and opened it. Like a tsunami, memories of him came flashing at you.

With every object inside that box that you touch, that old dormant feeling begs to stir. That bittersweet feeling. That old familiar smell. The fading photos taken on the polaroid.

The more you recall, the more that old flame lit up. You picked up his shirt and that photo. You inhaled his scent, he smelled of coffee and pancakes. The scent of a fleeting moment, the night you sleep like a baby and waking up in the morning feeling refreshed.

I wish I could have kept you. you said.

I did not take you with me, but you never left my mind. He said. Looking at that faded polaroid you both took. Silhouettes kissing, as the sun sets. He caressed it. He loved you. Truly and dearly.

But you and I were a maybe-never been a must.

And I would give all the world to know, to make you come back and to make you stay. I would give anything, anything to be in your arms. You cried.

The skies wept and those four walls are the only ones who knew your secret.