Chapter 9

I needed to find a way to escape from here, his front door was wide open, I can easily run there if only I can distract him

My mind was not letting me think of a better solution, than this drink he poured.

I stood up, earning an eye from him.

I picked up the drink, "You know, we've been through something already. I thought maybe we can continue what we started back then."

"Stop changing the topic—."

I didn't let him finish, as I threw the drink on his face before fleeing towards the door.

He managed to grab my arm, but I used all my strength to get his grip off of me, using his blocked eyesight as my advantage.

But the man was too strong.

"I'll keep you around, I'd like to see you try and take me down."

The fuck does that mean.

My heart pounded in my chest. My cover was blown, and I am running out of time.

Ran uses his arm to wipe off the drink I threw on his face, with one hand holding me, and the other ran through his hair as he fixed it.

His eyes were cold, but his body language was relaxed, almost nonchalant, as if he knew he had already won.

"You thought you could outsmart me?" Ran's voice was a chilling whisper that echoed through my head. "You will never win against my organization."

My fists clenched. "I won't let you get away with this," I said, lunging at him with a right hook.

Ran sidestepped effortlessly, his expression unchanged.

"You're wasting your energy," he said, dodging another swing. "You're alone now. Your colleagues aren't here. There's no one coming to save you."

Ignoring his taunts, I threw a series of punches and kicks, each one missing its mark as Ran moved with infuriating ease.

I needed to land a blow, to buy myself enough time to escape, but he was always one step ahead.

"Why won't you fight back?" I shouted, my frustration mounting with every failed attempt.

"Because I don't need to," Ran replied calmly.

My mind raced. I couldn't keep this up much longer. My breaths were coming in ragged gasps, my muscles screaming in protest.

I had to think of something, anything, to get out of this situation!

Ran took a step closer, his eyes gleaming with amusement. "You were so clever, infiltrating our ranks. But you made one fatal mistake—you underestimated me."

Desperation clawed in my chest. I needed to create a distraction, something to throw him off balance.

My eyes darted around the area, landing on a stack of crates to my left.

With a swift movement, I kicked one of the crates toward Ran, hoping it would give me a momentary advantage.

But Ran dodged the crate easily, but the momentary distraction was enough. I turned on my heel and sprinted toward the door, my legs were burning with the effort.

I could still hear Ran's footsteps behind me, steady and unhurried.

"You can't outrun me, Y/n," Ran called out. "You know you can't."

I pushed myself harder, the road just a few yards away. If I could just make it outside, I might have a chance to lose him in the maze of trees and grasses. But as I reached for the road, Ran was there, blocking my path with an infuriatingly calm expression.

"Enough of this," he said, grabbing my wrist with a grip like iron. "Quit resisting, I am keeping my mouth shut for you!"

I then twisted and turned, trying to break free, but he held me firmly. "Let me go!" I demanded; my voice tinged with panic.

Ran shook his head slowly. "You're not such a bad fighter after all, I guess I also underestimate your group."

"You betrayed us!"

"I didn't betray you; it was just what I was told to do. The agreements were between Mikey and Saki, not mine, dummy."

"Let me go!"

"Like I said, I'm keeping you around. You should be fucking thankful you're still alive, mommy."

His words made me pause, is he serious right now?

"Keep me around? I am not a pet!" I protested as the man finally released me.

"I like you, that's why," his lips formed a smirk as the man was over towering me with his height.

I was taken aback by the words that just came out of his mouth.

Did he just say the word, like?

"You caught my interest; I've never seen a brave woman like you. You have my praise, for going against Bonten by yourself."

Is this man insane?

"If it weren't for you, our colleagues wouldn't suffer that incident, none of them would've died!"

"Why are you blaming everything to me? Hey, I'm not Mikey, I don't make the decisions," he shrugged, "Now why don't we just go back to my house and settle everything, I am a man of my words, Rindou don't know shit of who you are, so... let's go."

"Why?! I don't understand it, Ran! Why are you not killing me? Why are you just standing there wanting me back after everything you found out?! We are not the same, we are enemies, so why?!" As i continue to yell at him, I started to feel my tears just flowing from my cheeks.

I don't even understand why I am crying; I just can't help not to...

"Just trust me, Y/n. I don't want to hurt you, that's why I'm keeping you around."

"I am not a slut for you just to keep around just because you're entertained—."

I was cut off when I suddenly felt Ran's lips against mine.

My eyes widened as I felt my blood rushed, hearing my own heartbeat.

I don't know what happened to me, I suddenly felt my knees weaken.

I was in a tense position for a long time, I was so stressed thinking of way to escape him because I fear for my life.

I tried my best to put him down, my arms and legs are even aching.

I was running away, scared he might kill me.

All of that, just for him to say he likes me.

My hand reached for hands his sleeves, as I felt like I was fainting. I felt my word was spinning around as we had our lips touched.

I tried to stand, but my hand was too weak to hold him... and before I even knew it.

My world blacked out.

"I'll protect you, forever," It was an echo that I heard before finally losing conscious.

It was... it was Ran's voice.