Chapter 12: The Frontline

=3rd P.O.V=

-6 days before the stampede-

The adventurer was yawning while sitting on the wooden crates inside the 1st trench line, as he felt bored in the middle of the day. Ever since the defensive lines were finally built completely for 2 weeks, which surprising extended to the North and South sectors of Ontoria as extreme precautionary, patrol duty shifted as both guardsmen and adventurers took their time guarding the trenches. The adventurers continue with their job as usual, except they have mandatory schedules for trench duty. The adventurers and guardsmen were confused about the volunteers being brought to the old fortress to train; it had been 2 weeks since they had gone for training.

"*Yawn* Damn, guess doing guarding duty is surely boring." A young adventurer complained while stretching his arms, and suddenly he got smacked on the back of his head by a guardsman who was holding a rifle from the adventurer group known as Wolfpack. They said they called the gun M1 Garand, and it shoots faster than a magic rifle. What's more interesting is that they were provided ammunition with bayonet knives. The guardsmen's garand has a bayonet knife, as everyone does.

"Surely you complain much. At least this is a very last moment you'll do because after the stampede as we all survive, you can do what you all do just like before," the guardsman replied. The adventurer scoffed before shrugging off.

"What's your name?" the adventurer asked.

"Tendo, you?" the guardsman returned.

"Alkaz."

They both looked up at the sky and held the water bag to wonder about different things. Alkaz sighed deeply not because he's bored, but contemplating if he may survive on the day of stampede.

"Hey, Tendo, do you think we'll survive?" Alkaz asked.

"Oi oi oi, don't jinx us that way. When you ask me that, everyone would feel tense, alright? Avoid that." Tendo scolded him.

"What are you guys talking about?" The two guys heard the female voice as they looked to the left, seeing a woman in a white robe and pointy hat.

"Who are you?" Tendo asked.

"Mila from 12th platoon home base."

"Homebase? What the hell are city mages doing here on the frontlines?" Alkaz asked while furrowed eyebrows.

"The Paladin said the 12th platoon will move to the trench to assist the volunteer's arrival. For some reason, we don't know why they need the whole platoon to move here for assistance," Mila replied.

"Heh! Probably they need to treat their wounds if they slip," Alkaz jokingly said, and he got smacked again.

"Shut up, Alkaz."

Suddenly, they felt something shaky on their ground, as people in the trench also felt that tremor.

"Uh, guys, do you feel that?" Alkaz asked.

"You know we are all, right?" Tendo replied sarcastically.

"Haha, thanks, captain, obvious." - Alkaz.

"Now where did that come from?" Mila
The tremor became more intense, and it got closer as everyone in the trench looked over from the ditch to find the source of loud footsteps coming their way.

As what they saw was a metal contraption moving closer to the trench and rows of people in gray or brown uniforms and black helmets marching in organized. They have bags at their backs and are wearing harnesses. Carrying rifles by slings.

"Okay, who are those guys?" Alkaz asked in a terrified tone.
"Are those the volunteers who left two weeks ago?"
"WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!"

Meanwhile, at the front of the marching volunteers, there were 7 people riding on the Tiger tank; it was like the WW2 soldiers marching in the village of France.