CHAPTER 22

As Daemon stood up to leave, Maelor's eyes fluttered open, his gaze locking onto Daemon's face

As Daemon stood up to leave, Maelor's eyes fluttered open, his gaze locking onto Daemon's face. For a moment, they just stared at each other, the air thick with tension.

Then, without a word, Maelor reached out and grasped Daemon's hand, his fingers wrapping around it like a vice. Daemon's eyes widened in surprise as Maelor's grip tightened, his face pale and desperate.

"Don't go," Maelor whispered, his voice barely audible. "Please, Daemon, don't leave me."

Daemon's face softened, his eyes filling with compassion as he looked down at Maelor. "I'll stay," he said, his voice low and gentle. "I'll stay with you, Maelor."

Maelor's grip on Daemon's hand relaxed, his eyes closing in relief as he pulled Daemon back down onto the bed. "Lay with me," he whispered, his voice husky with emotion. "I need to feel you next to me."

Daemon's face flushed, but he didn't hesitate. He lay down beside Maelor, his body curling around the king's as he wrapped his arms around him.

Maelor's eyes opened, his gaze locking onto Daemon's as he pulled him close. "I've missed you so much," he whispered, his voice trembling with emotion.

Daemon's face softened, his eyes filling with tears as he looked at Maelor. "I've missed you too," he whispered back, his voice barely audible.

......................................................................................

Maelor's eyes fluttered open, his gaze locking onto Daemon's face. The dragonrider was sitting up in bed, a book in his hands as he read by the light of a nearby candle.

Maelor's heart swelled with love as he looked at Daemon, his eyes taking in the strong jawline, the piercing blue eyes, and the tousled black hair. He had missed him so much, and now that he was back, Maelor couldn't bear the thought of ever letting him go again.

"Daemon," Maelor whispered, his voice thick with emotion.

Daemon's head snapped up, his eyes meeting Maelor's. "Maelor," he said, his voice warm and gentle. "You're awake."

Maelor's eyes filled with tears as he looked at Daemon. "I'm sorry," he whispered, his voice trembling with emotion. "I'm so sorry for everything I did. I should have chosen you over my sister's inheritance. I almost drove you to death."

Daemon's face softened, his eyes filling with compassion as he looked at Maelor. "I forgave you a long time ago," he said, his voice gentle. "I love you too much to hate you."

Maelor's eyes widened, his heart swelling with love as he looked at Daemon. "You do?" he whispered, his voice trembling with emotion.

Daemon nodded, his eyes shining with love as he looked at Maelor. "I do," he said, his voice firm. "I never stopped loving you, Maelor. Not for a single moment."