CHAPTER 23

DAEMON TARGARYEN, dressed in his finest attire, stepped off the ship and onto the docks of King's Landing

DAEMON TARGARYEN, dressed in his finest attire, stepped off the ship and onto the docks of King's Landing. He was accompanied by Maelor, who looked nervous and fidgety.

As they made their way to the Red Keep, Daemon's anxiety grew. He had no idea how his family and friends would react to his sudden return from the dead. He had faked his own death to escape a forced marriage, and he knew it wouldn't be easy to explain.

As they entered the castle, the servants and guards couldn't help but stare. Daemon's return was a shock to everyone, and whispers began to spread like wildfire.

One servant, a young girl, let out a loud scream as she saw Daemon walking towards her. "Ghost!" she exclaimed, her eyes wide with terror.

Daemon's face turned bright red as he gave an awkward smile. "Uh, no, not a ghost," he said, trying to reassure her. "Just... just me. Alive and well."

The servant looked unconvinced, but Daemon continued to smile and wave, trying to diffuse the tension.

As they made their way to the throne room, the whispers and gasps grew louder. Daemon's family and friends were gathered there, looking shocked and confused.

Aemma, Daemon's sister-in-law, was the first to speak up. "Daemon?" she said, her voice trembling. "Is that... is that really you?"

Daemon nodded, still giving awkward smiles. "It's me, Aemma. I'm alive."

The room erupted into a mixture of cheers and gasps, with some people looking relieved and others looking angry. Daemon's brother, Viserys, looked like he was about to explode with rage and happiness.

Daemon took a deep breath and began to explain, trying to justify his actions. "I know I did a terrible thing, faking my own death," he said. "But I had to escape the marriage. I couldn't go through with it."

The room fell silent, with everyone waiting for someone to speak up. Finally, Aemma broke the silence.

"Well, you're certainly alive," she said, her voice dry. "And you're certainly in trouble."

Daemon nodded, still smiling awkwardly. "I know. I'm sorry. I'll do whatever it takes to make it right."

As the commotion in the throne room died down, Baelon Targaryen, Daemon's father, pushed his way through the crowd. His face was etched with concern and regret, and his eyes were red-rimmed from lack of sleep.