pit stop

Ariana ~ April 8th, 1978

I wipe the tears off my face as Quincy and I leave the room. It's safe to say the meeting went well alright. I'm in such disbelief, I've been shaking for the past 10 minutes. He slings his arm over my shoulder and jerks me playfully. "What did I tell you?"

"That everything would be alright." I answer, still clearing my face of the happy tears that leak down. The music executives were a lot nicer than I expected them to be. News is, they were boasting about me the entire time. I almost thought I was dreaming. When they handed me
the contract, the wildest emotions started to hit me. I had Quincy answering practically the rest of the questions after that since I was so emotional.

"I'm real proud of you, kid." The man looks almost more ecstatic than I do. "This is only the beginning, we got a lot of work ahead of us. I want you to meet one of my favourite sound engineers, his name is Bruce Swedien and his fingers are like magic when it comes to perfecting the sound."

I smile brightly, the thought of being introduced to someone else who's going to help me with my album gets me excited. "If you approve of him, I will and trust me Quincy, I will be putting my blood, sweat, and tears into everything from this point on."

"That's what I like to hear!" We walk outside and a familiar man leans against a familiar vehicle.

"Bill!" Quincy greets and hugs him. I do the same, when Eddie said he was going to send a new driver, I didn't think it would be Bill but I'm kind of happy it is. I've only met him yesterday but he is such a sweet man.

Quincy and I slide into the car and click our seatbelts on, Bill hopping in the drivers seat. All three of us make conversation before Quincy sits up slightly. "Ooh, Bill! Do you mind if we make a quick stop at Hayvenhurst? Mike wanted me to pick up some tapes from him and I figured I'd just do it now."

I wonder who Mike is and more importantly, what is Hayvenhurst? My curiosity may get the best of me but I don't wanna come off as too nosy.

We come to a red light and Bill takes a sip of his water. "You got it. I was actually just talking to him before I left to come and get you guys. He's been brainstorming a whole lot, he's in that damn studio at Hayvenhurst every day. He got that whole house and he only wants to be in one room."

Suddenly, this ill feeling comes over me which
consists of confusion and anxiety. I think I may know who Mike is and I really wish I didn't.

How would Bill even know Michael personally?...Unless this Bill is the same exact Bill that Michael brought up at the studio a month ago and the band that Bill said he does security work for is the Jackson's...Oh my god, that has to be it. Am I Nancy Drew or what?

Everything pieces together and what I really want to do is jump out of this car and just hide in my hotel room but for obvious reasons, that's not an option.

I lay my head against the seat and shut my eyes, hoping and praying it's not who I think it is even though it's too late.

"That's Michael for ya!" Quincy laughs rascally and I internally groan to myself, the last thing I want to do is see Michael after last night. I can feel Quincy look at me. "I hope you don't mind the quick stop. I figured you won't though since you know Michael and all?"

Bill looks up at me through the rear view mirror. "You know Mike?" The older man smirks.

I nervously look at both men and let out a shaky laugh, shrugging after. "I guess you could say that."