news of a lifetime

Ariana ~ April 2nd, 1978

My eyes open groggily as I can feel the sleep leaving my body. I sit up and look out my window, it's a dim day in New York today. It's all cloudy and whatnot.

My mind then drifts to the phone call I had with Michael last night. I swear it was the universe telling me to not get too excited about anything because it can change pretty damn quick.

I'm still in shock that his brothers had no problem embarrassing him like that. From an outside perspective, it seems like Michael is the black sheep of the family. Now, it's totally understandable as to why he's so distant from his brothers. I wonder if I should call him myself today but who knows? He probably doesn't even want to speak to me again after that in case his siblings were to pull that shit again.

Today's my day off, thank goodness. I made plans yesterday at work with Courtney for a coffee date and all I know is that I've got plenty to tell her.

The sound of the door knocking snaps me out of my deep thinking, I look at my clock and the time reads 9:24 am.

I hop out of bed, rushing to the door once I hear another knock. Unlocking it quickly, I swing it open and Courtney stands there with a smile.

"You're here like 2 hours early." I say blankly.

"Or you're just an hour late." She replies swiftly, bringing herself in.

I shake my head. "No, I said 11:30-"

"And then I said 9:30 because I wanted to go and get breakfast and most places stop serving breakfast at 11:30." She wears a smug smirk that makes me want to strangle her.

"Let me go get ready." I rush to my bedroom.

"I'll be here!" I turn around and see her plop herself on the couch, grabbing a few magazines that sit on the coffee table.

•••

"I'll have a cup of coffee please, black." I tell the waitress.

"Okay and for you?" She turns to Courtney. "Can I do a mimosa?"

"You got it." We thank her and the waitress is soon out of sight.

"A mimosa?" I question with an eyebrow raise.

"It's 5 o clock somewhere." She shrugs as she laughs. "And hey, at least I chose something drinkable. You're about to be sipping on liquified charcoal."

I roll my eyes, a giggle escaping my mouth. "You just don't get it." I pause, the air becoming silent as my heart grows heavy again. I can't stop thinking about Michael, he's been on my mind for the entire morning.

"Okay, are you gonna tell me why you suddenly look like you wanna jump off a bridge?" Courtney leans back in her chair and crosses her arms.

I look away, staring into the distance. "I want to but...you're always listening to me rant about the same bullshit and I feel bad."

"Hey, this is what friends are for! Also I hope you don't take this the wrong way but I like feeling like a little therapist."

I laugh at her goofiness and nod to myself. I then explain everything to her from start to finish.

"What assholes." She exclaims with a disgusted look. "Poor Michael."

"I really want to call him, Courtney...but If I was him, I wouldn't want to call me. He's probably mortified." I play with the fork in front of me.

"Well, naturally he's going to be. Give him a call later tonight, I'm sure he'll want to talk to you...plus, he did call you first yesterday." She drags out her words, flashing a smirk. "It sounds like he likes you, Ariana...but what do I know?" She shrugs.