l.a. escapade

Ariana ~ April 7th, 1978

My right leg shakes up and down repeatedly as I stare out the airplane window, I feel a glare my way and I turn to my right. The older woman I'm sitting beside looks at me and then looks down at my leg, my eyes fall on my leg and I quickly realize I'm shaking her table up and down.

I immediately stop and flash an awkward yet apologetic smile, she goes back to reading her book. I can't help that I'm so nervous. The plane will be landing in a few minutes and I'm afraid that's only making my anxiety worse.

I distract myself for the time being until the sudden pressure in my chest is tight, we'll be touching the ground soon. I observe people's faces, some looking very relieved while it's not even phasing the others. I'm not the biggest fan of flying so I'm definitely one of the relieved folks.

The plane hits the ground and we smoothly glide on the pavement, the first thing I notice is how sunny it is already. We're finally in L.A.

Once the plane doors open and it's my turn to exit, the immediate swoosh of heat hits my entire body. It's only April and it feels like it's August.

I walk and walk for a while until I collect my bags, or should I say my 1 measly suitcase, and I venture off to the pick up area. Quincy said there would be a man holding a sign with my name on it, I scan the room and finally make eye contact with the supposed guy. It's an older man with lighter skin but I can tell he's mixed of some sort.

I wave as I walk over, a smile grows on his face and he puts the sign down, swiftly taking the bag out of my hand.

"Oh, it's okay-" I go to reach for it back.

"Allow me, ma'am." He keeps it in his hold tight, I wear a small grin on my face as I follow him.

"How was the drive?" I ask, trying to make conversation.

"Not too busy surprisingly." His smile hasn't left his face.

"What's your name?" I stick my hands in my pockets, not really knowing what else to do with them.

"I'm Bill, ma'am."

"It's lovely meeting you, Bill. I'm Ariana but...you already know that." I timidly laugh.

We arrive in front of the car and I must say, it's a very ritzy vehicle.

He pops the trunk, slipping my suitcase in there and closing it right after. I go to open the door but he beats me to it. I smile bashfully and thank him graciously, sliding in the car.

He hops in the drivers seat, sticking the key into the ignition.

"So...are you Quincy's full time driver?" I question, admiring the sleek interior I'm sat in. I then click my seatbelt on.

"Oh, no. This is just a favour, I'm a friend of a friend." He says with a laugh. "I was a cop actually."

The car starts up and we're quickly on the highway.

"Wow, now I feel even more safe." I chuckle softly, he does the same.

"Yeah. Now I do security work for a band." He states, looking at me in the rear view mirror.

I start to grin. "That sounds like such a cool job."
The thought of asking him who the band is crosses my mind but I figure that might be too personal. "Got any stories?"

Bill shakes his head and cackles. "You bet I do."

•••

"And we're here." The older man pushes the brakes as we come to a halt. I immediately look out my window and a gasp escapes my mouth. Only the most beautiful hotel's I've ever seen is stood in front of us and I live in New York so it takes a lot so shock me at times.