fangirl

Ariana ~ August 11th, 1977

"Heres your lemon drop, sir." I pass the yellow drink to the older man and he thanks me.

"How are you so fast?" Tatiana questions me in wonder. I shrug with an appreciate smile. "Experience."

While she takes some drink orders, I start prepping them to keep the smooth ship we have going sailing.

"I'm gonna go to the bathroom. Be back in a sec." Tatiana informs me before rushing to the back.

I proceed to keep doing what I was doing but am suddenly interrupted.

"Miss?" I hear a high pitched voice come from...I don't know where. I look around until I hear it again. "Down here!" My sight falls onto either a little person or a little girl.

My eyebrows lower and a laugh slips out of my mouth. This is definitely a little girl. What the hell is this kid doing here? She can't be any older than 10.

"I'm sorry, who let you in here?" I ask, concern evident in my tone. "Are you here alone?"

"I'm here with my brother and sister." She shrugs with not a single care in the world. "Do you guys have apple juice? Actually no, fruit punch?"

I stare at her and it's hard to hold back a smile when this little girl is at a bar asking for juice but at the same time very concerning. "May I ask where your brother and sister is?"

I've seen underage kids come in all the time but by kids, I mean teenagers. Not 10 year olds.

"They're on the dance floor." She gestures behind her and what I think is a regular crowd of people, ends up being a circle around a familiar face.

Michael.

Before I know it, I'm smiling to myself as I watch him. I quickly wipe my expression off and look back down at the girl. Suddenly, the pieces are all coming together.

"Are you...Janet Jackson?" I ask.

"Sure am." She nods proudly. "Also, I have a question." She points her finger in the air, very matter of factly.

"Shoot." I tell the young girl.

"Why is everyone here putting flour up their nose?" Her face is drowning in confusion.

My eyes widen and I have to catch my breath. That was the last thing I expected her to ask.

I look around awkwardly, clapping my hands with an uncomfortable laugh. "Um, how about that juice?"

•••

"And Michael has this effect...on you?" Janet watches Tatiana heave heavily into a paper bag. I also watch her and am holding back a laugh so hard my stomach starts hurting.

"I've been in love with your brother since I was 10." Tatiana shoots daggers at Janet as Janet stares at Tatiana like she's a psychopath. The little girl rolls her eyes as she snickers. "I could bring him over here." She offers casually.

I sit in silence as I observe Tatiana's frantic self. "Are you kidding me? You can't do that. Not when I'm like this."

Janet furrows her eyebrows with an attitude as she wears the biggest stank face. I love this little girl already. She turns to me swiftly. "Do you want to meet him?"

I smile with a shrug. "I already met him actually."

Janet looks at me in confusion. "He was here a month ago celebrating the first day of filming for the Wiz..." The look on her face has not changed. "I sang I'll Be There, he came up and complimented-"