new year, new beginnings

Ariana ~ December 31st, 1977

I groan to myself as I can already hear the commotion from the front of the club. Every staff member is working tonight due to it being New Year's eve. It's only the most busy day we have out of the entire year, everyone and anyone will be fighting their way to make it into Studio 54 tonight.

"Think about all the tips we'll be taking home." Courtney nudges my shoulder before looking into the mirror.

"I'd rather just be home." Tatiana states dryly, walking past the both of us.

"Make that the two of us." I roll my eyes, crossing my arms.

Courtney drops her arms to her side, clearly annoyed. "Oh, lighten up, you two. We're already here so let's go make some money." She punches in and then walks out of the back.

Tatiana and I exchange vexed glances, clocking in and following Courtney's actions. The floor is jam packed, of course. Soon, we're all busting our asses, making drinks for anyone who requests one.

On any other night, I'd be fawning over famous faces making their appearance here but it's too busy right now. All I'm focusing on is sending out these drinks.

"Pardon me." A deep voice shouts in my direction.

"Yes, sir?" I don't take one look up so I can concentrate on what I'm doing but I try to multitask as best as I can.

"Could I please get a bourbon on the rocks?" The man questions.

I nod, keeping my head down still. "Any specific brand?"

"Surprise me." I can hear the humour in his voice.

"You got it." I state. I finish up the drinks I was making and start the quick drink the man requested.

"Quincy, how's it going?" A womanly voice says out of nowhere, my head snaps up as I see Diana standing in front of me and conversing with the man who ordered the whiskey.

"I'm good, I'm good!" I wouldn't call it eavesdropping because I'm literally right in front of them but I listen to their conversation.

It's a usual chit chat about each of their families but then it turns very professional, apparently this man is producing the soundtrack for the Wiz.

Once I think I've heard enough, I place his drink on the counter top and tell him the total, he pulls out a bill and hands it to me with a face of graciousness.

"Ariana, how are you doing tonight? It's pretty busy, ain't it?" Diana questions as she smiles sweetly. I feel taken by surprise at her even acknowledging me, I didn't think she even remembered my name to be honest.

Out of my peripheral vision, Courtney and Tatiana are both looking at me.

I let out an exasperated breath and shake my head quickly. I give the guy his change before answering "I'm sorry. I'm really good actually. And yeah, it's hectic in here alright." I can feel my cheeks becoming more and more rosy. "How have you been though? I heard you guys wrapped filming for the Wiz the other day." I try to keep calm and sound normal, for some reason this conversation has me more anxious than our first one. I think it's because of the New Years craziness.

"Yes we did. It's been plenty of hard work but we're all so grateful. I don't know if you heard me when I was speaking to this lovely man but this is Quincy Jones. He actually produced the whole soundtrack."

I gasp a little before clearing my throat. "That's amazing!" I look at Quincy who stands there humbly. "It's so nice to meet you." I say with a smile.

"It's nice to meet you as well." He nods as she shows genuine smile and takes a sip of his drink.