ripped to shreds

Ariana ~ May 16th, 1978

I rip the tag off my brand new suitcase and unzip it, throwing many of my belongings in there. I go back to L.A. in a few days but this time, it'll be for much longer.

It'd be too much work for Quincy to fly back and forth between two cities constantly just for us to work on this album so the record company is actually fronting me an apartment there for the time being.

I was ecstatic when I first got this news. Even though it's not permanently mine, it'll be nice to have my own space. Quincy, career wise, has really been helping me out but as far as our personal lives, he loves teasing me about Michael and I don't know where it comes from. It's almost like Quincy can read my mind sometimes when it comes to him, it's weird.

I roll my eyes to myself, trying to get rid all unwanted thoughts but soon, a strange feeling overcomes me. It almost feels like I'm forgetting something, I glance at my suitcase and dig through it.

Checking off the imaginary list in my head, everything I need is in there so far.

"What the hell?" I mutter to myself, crossing my arms and furrowing my eyebrows. Let's see, it's May 16th today....May 16th.

Oh my gosh, it's Janet's birthday today! I don't know how but I remember her telling me on the subway ride to her apartment. Suddenly, guilt consumes me as I recollect how excited she was about it. She's a Jehovah's Witness so I know they can't do much but irregardless, I should have remembered sooner.

I jump up and walk over to the phone, tossing open my journal that sits on the table, I find her number and spin the digits into the phone. Truth is, I haven't spoken to Janet in a while. I think the last time we called was way before I first flew to L.A. I've just been so busy and I'm sure she has too. I don't even know if she's still in New York, she could be back home for all I know.

Me calling her  is something I need to do though, knowing that she probably can't celebrate in the way she exactly wants to makes me feel like she might really appreciate my call.

The phone rings and rings and rings until a soft, feminine voice answers. "Hello?"

I quickly realize this is not Janet. "Hi, um, I'm Ariana. Who's speaking, sorry?"

"Ariana?" The woman repeats my name but in a very snarky tone. "You mean the same Ariana that did my brother dirty?"

My mouth slightly falls open as I'm taken aback. What is she talking about? "I'm sorry? I don't know what you mean."

"Girl, don't act slow. Ariana's aren't just growing from trees, you're the trifling little Jezebel that was talking all that smack about Mike."

Tears well up in my eyes as I can feel my stomach tighten. "What? You must have me mistaken, I-"

"I don't have anything mistaken! Now I don't know why you phoned my residence but you better not call back ever again. Stay away from my family and especially, stay away from Michael. And this is La Toya speaking."

The line beeps and tears are now streaming down my face, I quickly hang the receiver back up and grab a few tissues, wiping my face. The fact that this is my first impression speaking to Michael's older sister is ruining me.