26

This time Sharon waits in the car as Darrin goes up to return the card. It doesn't take long for Darrin to return and he's sporting a smirk when he does. 

"What's got you all happy?" Sharon inquires as he settles himself in the car.

"He was waiting for you and was all set to force you in the house. He was more than a little upset that I was the one to come to the door."

Sharon stares at him, "He was going to force me into the house? But what about the cameras?"

"He didn't seem worried about them. He likely had someone come earlier and dismantle them." Darrin says thoughtfully.

Sharon sniffs rather loudly at that. "I can  guarantee that he didn't get all of them and it wouldn't stop me from gaining access to the other cameras that he has set up. Actually, I had all the video sent to my secondary location, not just my cameras."

Her brothers snicker at this. The car pulls to a stop and the brothers all step out of the car and wait for her to do so as well.

"Welcome to our home, and we hope that one day you might consider it yours as well."

Sharon looks at the huge monstrosity of a house and shudders. "I'm not sure that I'll ever feel comfortable enough in that," she motions towards the house, "to ever consider it home. Why in the hell after all you were put through did you stay in that place?"

"Mostly because of the memories of mother. It was the only place we had good memories. Certain rooms that we had restored once father was dead."

"Didn't he ever remarry?" Sharon asks as they move into the house into a sitting room.

Joshua sniffs, "More than once. None of them lasted more than a couple of years though. They wouldn't put up with his abuse like mother did."

"He was never as bad with her as he was with the others." Darrin says thoughtfully. "I think in his own way, father actually loved mother. He was just unable to actually show it."

"With his parents that's very likely."

"His parents?"

"Hmm, yeah, not many memories of them, thank goodness. The ones I do have weren't very good. They treated mother like she was scum."

"Well she wasn't from money so that doesn't surprise me." Sharon says sadly.

Her brothers look at her sharply, "What makes you think that she wasn't from money? Father wouldn't even have looked at her if that was true. At least not to marry her, to have sex with her yes, but not marry."

Sharon looks at them in confusion. "If they had money then why did mother have to work so hard and Shaun have to quite school to take care of me?"

"There was a trust fund set up for Shaun. I don't know why he had to work so hard to take care of you. There should have been enough money for him to pay the bills and still go to school. Likely father got to the lawyers and siphoned the money away. There would also have been a trust set up for you. I know she let her parents know that she was expecting you and they would have let their lawyers know to add you into the trust at your birth."

Darrin takes out his phone and makes a call. Sharon looks at him inquiringly and when he ignores her as he walks out the room she looks at the others.

"Who the hell is he calling at this time of night?" It's well after ten at this point.

"Likely either our lawyer or a private detective friend we have."

"Why would he be calling them at this time of night?"