Chapter Three - Everything's Gonna Be Alright

As always, Norman came to pick me up with his Jeep Wrangler which I hated so much. It was big and uncomfortable - and everyone known that if this monster shows up, then Norman Reedus is in town. I loved the motorcycle better.
'You should have come with the motorcycle.' I huffed as I popped into the passenger seat of the giant car. Norman threw my travel bag onto the back seats of the monster then got behind the wheel, I heard him let out another deep sigh. New habit, I thought.
'And how would we've been able to get all of ya stuffs home, darlin'?' He asked, starting the engine. Touché. 'I always pick you up with the Jeep and for your last time we keep the habit.' Optimism on a high level.
'I just hate to be picked up with this wreck!' I prostested even more, tough I knew that wouldn't change the situation at all. I put my feet up on the dashboard, leaning more againts the back of the seat. Norman looked at my feet then took both of my boney ankles and carefully - like he was thinking he would break them - put my feet back down. He knew if he would ask me I wouldn't put them down by myself. But then I kinda felt like I'd have done that if he'd have asked me to do so... I rolled my eyes, more to my thought than to him, but sure he thought it was meant for him.
'Then make sure I don't have to pick you up again. At least, not from rehab, Reira.' He snapped, a bit angrier than usual. His louder voice made me blink a few times, leaving me numb for a moment. I so wasn't used to that. Then the old Reira found the way out through my mouth.
'Boo-fucking-hoo.'
Norman looked deep into my eyes, we stared at each other for seconds. I wasn't sure about what I was seeing in his darker blue eyes. Disappointment? But why? In his head I should have been like the rude and careless Reira. He shouldn't have been surprised by my rudeness. Or maybe he hoped for some change? If he only knew... I broke the staredown and he turned his eyes back to the road too, with that annoying sigh again.
'Buckle up, please.' Norman demanded and I could feel how hard he tried not to yell at me. He was definitely mad at me. It was our first day together again and usually I hadn't been this jerk to him on my release day. But now I couldn't hold myself back. I crossed my arms in front of my chest, protesting like a child. I wanted to feel like the old me, I didn't want to feel anything. Being this bitch to him was a way to me to find my old self. Even if it was not the good way. Norman massaged the bridge of his nicely shaped nose as he realized that there is no way to make me put my seatbelt on.
'Ya know what? I don't care.' He spat the words like curses, then he drove out of the parking lot of the institute. As the gate opened for let us out, my heart started pounding faster and heavier. Fear all I could feel.
We were on the road about half an hour ago, we arrived to Manhattan, when he finally stopped fuming inside and stopped grasping the wheel that his knuckles went white. I really tried not to care about it.
The neighborhood started to become more and more familiar and somehow it didn't make me calm at all. I knew that lots of friend of mine were waiting for me to finally get out of rehab (again) but this time I really wanted to get rid off of them. I just wanted to be somewhere else. I wanted to live with my last chance. And somehow I wanted to please Norman too. Even when I was deep in my own hell, he was always at my side and I was always grateful for him. Well, I'd never showed that to him, but I really did feel like that.
As he peeked at me more often I knew he would like to start a conversation, I wanted to avoid that. Another minutes had passed when he cleared his throat, trying to have my attention. When I didn't turned my face to him, he cleared his throat again and again.
'You really should see a doctor... This sounds bad...' I mocked him on an emotionless tone, giving into his will.
'Ha-ha.' Was all his respond first, but I could hear his smile in his voice. 'And how did ya like the place? Was it calmin' and rechargin'?' I couldn't help myself but shot my look at him. I just couldn't believe that he had said that.
'I was in a fucking rehab, not a spa!' I almost sounded offended. 'Anyway, the place was a big shit. The doctors are idiots, the nurses are stupids.' I thought of Polly and Dr. K and suddenly I felt bad that I had said that about them. Mentally, I made an exception of them. Norman smirked.
'Well, first time I put ya into a class A place and ya said the same. So maybe the problem is not with the places, darlin'.'
'You really try to hurt a freshly released rehab patient's feelings?' My question made his eyes shot wide open.
'Wow... Last time I checked you had no feelings at all...' His voice was full with amazment. 'Maybe this time the docs had succeed a bit...'
You have no idea...Was what I thought.
'Don't expect too much.' Was what I said finally, giving him a dismissing look, then I turned away again, closing the conversation.
I hadn't seen the outside world for long months. When I walked in through the gates, my veins was still full of drugs, I barely had a clear memory of the first few days, but I remember that I wore my favorite black leather jacket as I always did during winter time. Suddenly I couldn't remember where the jacket was. I hadn't packed it in to my bag when I finally made myself to pack my stuffs. Panic started to well up inside of my soul.
I have to find it...
I turned around to the back seat, furiously rammaging in my travel bag. I had all the clothes in my bag, except the one I was looking for.
'What are ya doin' Reira?' Norman asked concerned, slowing down the car.
'I can't find it!' My voice was filled with thrill and despair. I knew that if I would loose the jacket, my life would end. I went more deep into my bag, all of my stuffs was on the backseats of the car, within seconds I made the car look like a thrift shop. One of my bras landed on Norman's shoulder. He slowly pulled over and stopped the car.
No, no, no! It should be here! No, I couldn't leave that in the institute! It wasn't in my room!
The fact hit me like cold fist.
Someone stole my jacket!
I could literally hear as my heart crashed into millions of pieces and feel as my blood run cold in my veins. I felt a pair of hands on my shoulders, making me sit back on my seat.
'Reira, talk to me!' Norman voice sounded soft and caring now. But I didn't really care. 'What are you lookin' for?'
'I lost it.' I whispered through my tears. 'I lost it.'
'What?' He really started to worry about me, I could see the concern in his eyes.
'Kieran's jacket.' I wrapped my arms around my body like I was hugging the jacket on me - but it wasn't there anymore. I lost the most prescious thing in my life.
'Reira.' I heard Norman's voice but it sounded like it came from somewhere very far. 'You didn't. It's in your room at home.' The words he said made me shot my look up at him. His face was only a blurry mask through the tears. I blinked to wash them away.
'What did you say?' I asked back, trying to believe it's not a trick or a lie.
'You remember when you relapsed in February? When you stole that bottle of Vicodine from the doc's office? You threw the jacket out of your room and didn't stop screaming until the nurse took it away.' My eyes widened in shock and disbelief.
'You're lying. I'd never do that!' I argued, believing that he only lied to me. But why would he do that?
'Trust me, Reira. The jacket is safe.' He looked deep into my eyes, trying to convince me.
'You aren't foolin' me?' I couldn't get rid off of my doubt. Norman's eyes saddened and he couldn't look into my eyes.
'Why would I? Ya think I'm kinda a monster?' He asked me, hurt and broken. Suddenly I felt ashamed of what I had asked him.
He would never do that to me.
I softly shook my head and he looked at me again. 'I would never hurt you, Reira.' One single teardrop made its way down on my cheeks and I knew clearly it wasn't for the jacket. It was for the realization that Norman really cares about me and I was always a bitch to him. He doesn't deserve this. Norman slowly brushed the teardrop off of my face and smiled to me. 'Everything is gonna be alright, I promise.' He whispered to me and I simply nodded.