17. Abhi - Mayu

"Abhi, how's the elbow today?" Mayank Markande's voice echoed in the locker room, a mix of concern and teasing.

Abhishek Sharma, or Abhi as everyone called him, grimaced playfully. "Oh, it's just fine. Thanks for asking, Doc." He flexed his arm, the muscles rippling beneath his sweat-soaked shirt. The room erupted in laughter.

"I'm serious," Mayank said, his eyes sparkling with mischief. "If you keep playing like that, you'll need more than just my magic touch."

Abhi feigned innocence. "Well, if it's your magic touch we're talking about, I can always use more of that." The room grew quiet, and a few of the other players exchanged knowing glances. Mayank blushed, a rare sight for the unflappable physiotherapist.

Their banter was a locker room staple, a delightful distraction from the tension of their cricket matches. Abhi, the team's star batsman, had been nursing a persistent elbow sprain for weeks, and Mayank had become his personal savior. Everyone knew they had a special bond, but no one quite knew how special it had become.

"So, Mayu," Abhi began, using the nickname he'd coined for Mayank, "What's the plan for today?" He sat down on the bench, his gaze never leaving Mayank's face.

Mayank cleared his throat, his cheeks still flushed. "The usual. Ice, massage, and some stretching." He tried to keep his tone professional, but the warmth in his eyes gave him away.

"Alright, Doc," Abhi said, his voice a low purr. "But I think I need some...extra attention today." He winked, and Mayank rolled his eyes, trying to hide his smile.

The other players had started to drift away, sensing the change in the air. They knew when to give the dynamic duo their space. The locker room door swung shut with a final thud, leaving them alone in the cool, dimly lit space.

"Okay, Abhi," Mayank said, his voice a little less steady than usual. "Let's get this over with."

"Oh, come on," Abhi protested, a grin tugging at the corners of his mouth. "Where's the fun in that?" He leaned closer, his eyes locked on Mayank's. "I've seen the way you look at me, Mayu. You can't tell me you don't enjoy it."

Mayank sighed, his expression a mix of exasperation and affection. "You're impossible." He set his medical bag down and began unpacking the ice packs. "But fine. If it'll get you to behave, I'll give you your extra attention."

Abhi's smile grew wider. "Deal." He held out his arm, and Mayank took it gently, applying the cold compress. The coolness was a stark contrast to the heat building between them.

Their conversation grew more playful as Mayank worked his magic on Abhi's elbow. The sound of their laughter filled the locker room, bouncing off the metal lockers and the concrete walls.

Then, the door swung open again, and Shubman Gill, a young and talented batsman, stumbled in, a grin plastered on his face. "Hey, Doc, I think I've got a cramp in my calf," he said, winking at Mayank.

Mayank's eyes narrowed slightly, his focus never wavering from Abhi's elbow. "Well, Shubman," he said evenly, "you know where the ice is."

But Shubman wasn't so easily deterred. He plopped down next to them, his laughter echoing through the room. "Nah, I'd rather have your personal touch," he teased, and Mayank couldn't help but laugh in response.

Abhi's smile faltered, and he felt a strange twinge in his chest. He watched as Mayank's eyes lit up at Shubman's words, and something inside him snapped. He had to make his move before it was too late.

"Mayu," he said, his voice dropping to a whisper that seemed to carry through the room. "Will you go out with me?" The question hung in the air, thick with anticipation.