Aftermath

(A/N: This chapter will be incredibly dark and triggering. Mentions and implicit of genocide and torment. Not sure if these are the best words for it but I think they work. It's all part of the story and does not reflect any real world views I have. Please enjoy.) 

================================================================================

Hati heard her alarm clock ring out and groaned as she sat up in her bed. She looked around her room and sighed, rubbing her eyes slightly. There was a clear water bottle beside her, the brown and white Hellhound stuck out her hand and tried using her magic, to no avail. It had been two weeks since she was kidnapped by Pontiff and her magic hadn't appeared since. Ramile now had to train his two children on their new abilities, mainly teaching Skoll how to fly and teaching Hati how to use magic. Skoll had been busy as well, Ulfbjorn's missile destabilized Fenris and now all the Jarls were out of communication and the royal legions were struggling to maintain order. The white and red Hellhound spent much of the last two weeks at the hotel, placing his stewards in charge of Leonhart and Blackmane. He was solely focused on helping his sister and she was doing better. Hati's graduation ceremony and her first album release was approaching soon as well, thankfully she seemed mentally sound enough to handle everything. However, a single thought was lingering in her mind. After everything her life had put her through, it was the only thing she could think about.

"Why do I have to suffer so much?" she asked herself.

"Hello?" Skoll's voice rang out from the door. "Are you awake? Can I come in?"

"Yeah, of course." she replied.

Skoll came in with a plate of scrambled eggs and sausages on a tray. "I got breakfast." a look of fear filled Hati's face and Skoll sighed. "Charlie made it."

"Oh thank God." she muttered. "Thank you though. You didn't have to bring it up to me though."

"I wanted to." the male Hellhound set down the tray on a table and sat at the foot of the bed. "Dad was planning to start my flying training today, he was wondering if you felt ready to train as well?"

"Sure, I'd like that."

"Alright, meet him out back in the evening. Until then, try to get some rest and enjoy the food."

Skoll got up to give his sister some alone time but she called back out to him, "Skoll?"

"Yeah?"

"Can we talk?"

"Sure." the Hellhound sat down next to his sister with a caring look on his face. "What's the matter?"

Hati pulled the tray next to her and started eating, talking in between. "I just feel like we haven't talked in a while. You've been... busy."

"I know, and I'm sorry for that. But that's all over now, I promise. I'll probably have stewards run my cities and we'll spend some time together." he wrapped an arm around Hati and hugged her.

Hati smiled and hugged back, "I'd like that."

Skoll smiled back briefly before going somber, "I'm sorry I wasn't there when that bastard... kidnapped you."

"No, it's ok–"

"It's not. I'm your big brother, I'm supposed to keep you safe. Ulfbjorn deserved to die but if I knew... I'd have planned things differently. I'm sorry for letting you down."

"No no no, I understand why you left. I don't... agree with it, but it's over now and it all worked out. If anything, I should be thanking you."

"For what?"