Chapter 3

_ . _

Chapter 3

"You troublemakers!"

Queen Thalia glared at her two sons, who knelt before her in the throne hall. Most of the servants had been dismissed, leaving only the king, the butler, the head maid, the queen, and the twins.

"What did I tell you about going out?"

Arnoux lowered his head, while Athian scratched his head in speechless guilt. Queen Thalia massaged her temples and sat on her throne. "What am I going to do with the two of you? Do you know how worried I was?"

"I'm sorry, Mother," Arnoux said sincerely, his voice heavy with guilt.

"Sorry, Mom," Athian echoed, equally remorseful. "We were just having fun," he added.

"Fun?!" The twins flinched as a fire elemental began to materialize from their mother's body, reflecting her rising anger. "Without guards? And going to the human village? What could have happened to you if the humans had ill intentions?!"

"But, Mom! We were training really hard!" Athian protested. "I can handle myself now that I'm an Elementalist! And brother Aurie is also a strong swordsman!"

Queen Thalia sighed, her anger giving way to concern. "Athian, dear, no one is invincible. It's a dangerous world out there, and anything could happen to my children without my supervision. Humans are becoming more vicious and greedy. What if they discovered you were princes of the elven kingdom without any protection?"

"Wife, calm down," King Ildris said, approaching to comfort Thalia. "We'll address the issue with the humans, but you can't isolate our children just because you think it's safer here."

"Dear," Thalia replied with a worried expression. "I know it's safe here, but there's a reason you're concerned. What should we do if our children keep causing trouble?"

Ildris smiled and kissed Thalia's forehead. "I think it's time to show the children the other side of the world."

Queen Thalia gasped. "Are you implying that we let them venture beyond our kingdom?"

"That's right," Ildris replied. "They are both princes, and they must be strong and knowledgeable if they are to lead our kingdom. Besides being elves, they are also part human, my love. We can't isolate them from the world forever."

Thalia lowered her head, feeling conflicted. "I see, I must've been too strict with our children. But let me think about this, dear. I treasure them so much."

"I treasure them too," Ildris replied, letting Thalia lean on his shoulder. "But we must let our children build foundations and connections by themselves, so they know what to do without our help."

Arnoux and Athian nodded in agreement. They were both nearing adulthood and curious about the world beyond their kingdom. They often talked about traveling and seeing new things.

However, they were also aware of the dangers that lay ahead. That was why they trained hard to protect themselves. But their mother, and the elves in general, had forbidden them from leaving the kingdom since they were children.

Thalia sighed and gestured for the two to stand up. "You will receive your punishment tomorrow for not abiding by the rules."

"What punishment is it, Mother?" Arnoux asked.

"You will spend the entire day reading ancient Elven texts and write a ten-page apologetic letter reflecting on your mistakes," Thalia said in a serious tone.