Chapter 8

_ . _

Chapter 8

The grand, ivy-clad walls of Rosehall Manor loomed ahead as Arnoux and Athian rode up the cobblestone path. The manor's tall windows glowed warmly, casting inviting pools of light on the darkening landscape. As the two arrived, the crisp evening air was filled with the distant calls of night birds and the soft rustling of leaves.

Inside, the atmosphere was a comforting blend of warmth and tranquility. Maids moved gracefully through the halls, their soft whispers and gentle footfalls creating a serene symphony. Arnoux and Athian were ushered to their chambers, where steaming baths awaited them. The water, infused with fragrant herbs, worked wonders on their tired muscles, and they soon found themselves clad in comfortable, richly embroidered robes, feeling refreshed and at ease.

Descending the grand staircase, they entered the dining hall. A long table, draped in a pristine white cloth, was adorned with an array of vibrant salads, ripe fruits, and fresh greens. The head maid, a woman of serene composure and gentle eyes, stood at the ready.

Arnoux's gaze swept over the vegetarian feast. "It's alright. We can eat meat. Please have the chef prepare them," he said, his voice carrying a note of reassurance.

The head maid bowed slightly. "There are also meat delicacies prepared in the kitchen, should your highnesses desire them. I will have them brought to your table."

"Thank you," Arnoux replied, taking his seat opposite Athian. The flickering candlelight cast a soft glow on their faces, adding to the intimate ambiance of the room.

As Athian picked up a plump grape and popped it into his mouth, he asked casually, "Where are we going tomorrow, by the way?"

"We have the meeting tomorrow," Arnoux responded, his tone reflecting the gravity of the upcoming event. "As usual, I will be the main speaker, and you will provide the details I need."

"That role suits me well," Athian said with a smile, his eyes twinkling with a mixture of anticipation and mischief.

Their conversation was interrupted by the arrival of a procession of maids carrying platters of meat. The aroma of roasted turkey, sizzling steaks, grilled fish, and succulent shrimp filled the room, making their mouths water in anticipation.

Arnoux, momentarily lost in the enticing scents, regained his composure and turned to the head maid. "Where are our escorts?" he inquired.

"They are outside, guarding the manor," she replied, her voice steady and reassuring.

"Have they had dinner yet?" Arnoux asked, his concern for his men evident.

"Yes, we served them salads and greens. They seemed satisfied with the food," the head maid confirmed with a nod.

"That's good," Arnoux said, his voice softening as he began to eat.

They ate quickly and efficiently, leaving most of the salads untouched in favor of heartier meat dishes. The head maid observed their preference with a knowing glance as they rose from the table and made their way back to their respective rooms. In the dimly lit hallway, Athian leaned towards Arnoux, his voice barely audible.

"I sense eight intruders: four in my room and four in yours," Athian whispered urgently.

Arnoux nodded tersely. "Prepare for battle. And cast a noise-canceling barrier around our rooms so the servants won't hear a thing."

"Okay," Athian replied with a confident smile.

His hands shimmered with silver light as he swiftly cast a soundproof barrier around their chambers. Without hesitation, they burst into their rooms, with Arnoux confronting four cloaked assassins near his open window.