Chapter 16

_ . _

Chapter 16

After Arnoux departed from the Manor, Athian wasted no time in seizing the opportunity to sneak into the kitchen of Rosehall Manor. He swiped a handful of cookies and a few delicately crafted macarons, slipping them into his pocket with a mischievous grin. Dressed in a snug, long-sleeved white polo shirt that accentuated his lean frame, paired with dark brown trousers and simple leather shoes, he casually strolled through the garden. His tousled auburn hair caught the light as he ambled along, his mood light and carefree.

As he walked, Athian encountered a group of maids who were chatting and enjoying the mild morning air. They paused in their conversation when they noticed him, exchanging curious glances before one of them called out.

"Prince Athian, where are you off to this time?" one of the maids inquired, her voice laced with concern.

Athian flashed them a charming smile, his eyes twinkling with mischief. "I have an appointment with the Crown Prince!" he replied with a playful wink.

The maids exchanged nervous looks, clearly torn between their duty to Arnoux and their respect for the Crown Prince's authority. "Is that so? Does Prince Arnoux know about this?" one of them ventured, her tone hesitant.

Athian's smile faltered slightly as he averted his gaze, his expression morphing into a pout. "I didn’t get the chance to tell him. He was in such a hurry earlier."

The maids sighed collectively, their unease palpable. They knew they should insist that Athian remain in the manor as per Arnoux’s instructions, but they were also aware that they could not defy the Crown Prince’s wishes. Their internal struggle was interrupted by the arrival of Rishar, who appeared behind Athian with a calm, reassuring smile.

"Do not worry, maidens," Rishar said smoothly, his tone soothing. "By the First Prince’s orders, I am to accompany Prince Athian should he decide to go outside."

Athian whipped around to face Rishar, his eyes widening in surprise. "What?! Is that true?"

Rishar’s smile widened, his expression teasing. "Indeed, Your Highness. Prince Arnoux instructed me first thing this morning."

Athian scowled, his brows knitting together in irritation. "You must’ve sweet-talked my brother into this, you conniving jerk!"

"How could I possibly be disloyal, Your Highness?" Rishar responded, his grin widening. "Now, lead the way! The Crown Prince must be waiting."

Athian clenched his fists, his frustration evident. But just as quickly, a sly smile replaced his scowl, his mind working rapidly. "You’re right! I shouldn’t keep the Crown Prince waiting any longer," he said sweetly, his tone almost too agreeable.

Rishar's grin faltered, his eyes narrowing in suspicion. He knew Athian too well to be fooled by his sudden change in demeanor. He silently followed Athian, his instincts on high alert as they made their way to the main palace.

Upon their arrival at the Crown Prince’s palace, the butler greeted them at the entrance and escorted them to the guest room where Crown Prince Kaeden awaited. Athian’s mood brightened further as he approached the door, his usual carefree whistle signaling his arrival. He pushed the door open with a flourish, his smile wide and radiant. "Princey! I’m here!"