Chapter 9

_ . _

Chapter 9

The next morning, Athian and Arnoux prepared for the diplomatic meeting, a day that held significant weight for both. The maids, bustling with quiet efficiency, helped them into their formal attire, ensuring they looked every bit the royalty they were. Breakfast was served directly to their rooms, a thoughtful gesture to save time.

"Your Highness Athian is always beautiful, no matter what you wear!" A young maid said with a warm smile as she fixed the hem of Athian's robe.

Athian's lips curved into a slight smile. "Say no more, girl," he responded with a playful glint in his eye. "Flattery won't get you anywhere."

"Goodness, Your Highness! I was just telling the truth!" the maid replied, her smile widening.

Athian chuckled softly, his eyes lingering on his reflection in the mirror. He felt a surge of satisfaction at his appearance. "Now, make me even more beautiful! My brother and I have an important mission today!"

"As you wish, Prince Athian!" The young maid's voice was full of vigor as she continued to tend to his clothes, her hands deft and practiced.

Meanwhile, Arnoux stood before his own mirror, his gaze betraying a hint of nervousness. His robe, a deep moss green trimmed with white, contrasted with his complexion, giving him an air of solemn elegance. A maid approached with a set of cloth accessories, but Arnoux waved her off gently.

"Don't put accessories on me today," he instructed. "My earrings and waistbelt are enough."

The maids exchanged glances, a flicker of confusion passing between them. "Why is that so, Your Highness? Do you not like the accessories brought by your kingdom?" one of them asked hesitantly.

Arnoux shook his head, a small smile playing on his lips. "No, that's not it. I want to look simple today. Fewer accessories will make it easier to move, and I prefer to have none for today's occasion."

The maids nodded in understanding, putting the accessories away. The maid, attending to his clothes in the mirror, picked up a comb, her movements careful and deliberate. "How would you like your hair today, Your Highness? Would you like it slightly pushed back from your face?"

"Mmn." Arnoux nodded, his expression softening. "That will do."

After their preparations, they ate breakfast in their rooms quickly, exchanging brief nods of approval as they donned their final touches. Meeting at the entrance door, both brothers looked their utmost best, though in contrasting styles. Athian scanned Arnoux from head to toe, his brows arching in mild surprise. "You look quite simple today. Are you playing it safe, brother?"

"Shut it," Arnoux replied with a frown as they started to walk out of Rosehall Manor. "This is how I usually dress back in our kingdom." The head maid and the butler bowed to them from behind, while Rishar, their loyal guardian, escorted them to a carriage prepared by the kingdom, waiting at the grand entrance.

"Rishar will accompany us today?" Arnoux asked, glancing at Rishar, who was mounted on a horse beside their carriage.

"Yeah," Athian said with a scowl. "He's the only available escort we have since the others are still investigating the assassins' organization."

"I see," Arnoux replied, a hint of concern in his voice.

The journey to the northernmost part of the imperial palace was a silent one, filled with the rhythmic clatter of hooves and the subtle creaking of the carriage. Upon arrival, the sight of other noble carriages parked at the entrance indicated the importance of the meeting. As they stepped down, the brothers walked towards the grand entrance, with Rishar trailing behind. They noticed some nobles casting astounded glances at Rishar.