Chapter 5

_ . _

Chapter 5

Arnoux and Athian woke at the break of dawn, anticipation replacing the usual grogginess of early mornings. The palace maids attended to them, dressing them in their finest elven garments. The maids, curious about the occasion, received a nonchalant explanation from Athian: the princes were planning a morning picnic in the forest, hoping to enjoy breakfast under the warming rays of the rising sun.

The maids bought their excuse, allowing the princes the freedom to roam. With the King and Queen preoccupied with a critical meeting, and their nanny Pschela away supervising border security, the palace was notably less vigilant.

"Your mouth must never run out of excuses," Arnoux remarked to Athian as they hurried toward the council palace.

"Are you mocking me?" Athian shot back, frowning as he quickened his pace to match his brother's.

"No, it was a compliment," Arnoux replied with a smile. "Let's hurry. The meeting is about to start."

They arrived at the council palace, where two guards stood at the entrance. The guards, bewildered by the princes' presence, allowed them to pass without question, unsure of their orders regarding the young royals.

Inside, the council was deep in debate.

"Your Majesty, we can reason with our people to volunteer as diplomats."

"That might be a good idea, but you know how dangerous it is to represent our kingdom. Remember what happened a few years ago?"

The elders fell silent, their expressions troubled. King Ildris sighed and continued, "We can't risk the lives of our people. Their sacrifice would be noble, considering this is about the Tree of Life, but we can't guarantee their safety against the temple's stubbornness."

"But, Your Majesty," one elder interjected, "a diplomat capable of self-defense could succeed."

"That's true!" came murmurs of agreement.

"How about Pschela?" another elder suggested.

Queen Thalia tilted her head, considering. After a moment, she spoke calmly: "I've already spoken to Pschela. If no one volunteers within a few days, she will go for the sake of our kingdom. I plan to send elementalists and skilled archers to protect her."

"Then this matter is settled!"

"Should we adjourn the meeting?"

"Wait," a voice interrupted.

The room turned toward the entrance, surprise evident as they saw Arnoux and Athian standing there. The council, engrossed in their discussion, had not noticed the princes' arrival. Queen Thalia frowned slightly, greeting them, "Athian, Arnoux, what are you two doing here?"

"Mother, you cannot send Pschela away from our kingdom," Arnoux declared, his tone serious. "Sending her would leave us vulnerable. Since finishing her duties as our nanny and your lady-in-waiting, she has been an elven warrior, protecting our borders. Without her, the temple might seize the opportunity to invade."

"That's right!"

"Then what should we do?" an elder asked.

"Do we reason with our people as suggested?"

"My brother and I will go for the sake of our kingdom," Arnoux declared.

Gasps filled the room. "Arnoux, do you realize how dangerous it is to be a diplomat?" Queen Thalia asked, her frown deepening.