Chapter 11

_ . _

Chapter 11

The conversation in Seymour County continued in the grand dining hall, a room steeped in history, where the echoes of past banquets lingered in the high, vaulted ceilings. The former count, Quillan, a man whose regal bearing had not diminished with age, gestured for the head chef to prepare a feast worthy of honored guests. Arnoux and Athian, both battle-hardened and weary from their recent diplomatic endeavors, were the guests of honor. The four men took their seats at a long, polished table, its surface gleaming in the warm glow of antique candleholders. The flickering flames cast dancing shadows on the fresh and fragrant flower arrangements that adorned the table, the blooms still glistening with morning dew.

As they waited for the food to arrive, Federon, the current count of Seymour and Quillan's son, broke the silence. "I heard from the elders and region rulers that both of you won against the temples in the diplomatic meeting," he said, his voice a mix of curiosity and respect.

Arnoux, ever the diplomat, offered a humble smile. "It was a hard-earned victory," he admitted, his tone measured. "We prepared extensively before coming here to Ellendor. We knew that the stakes were high, and we were determined to use every bit of knowledge and strategy we had acquired to protect our kingdom."

Athian, always more candid and prone to speaking his mind, scoffed lightly as he leaned back in his chair. "But those temple priests... they're something else," he said, rolling his eyes dramatically. "Every night, like clockwork, they sent assassins after us. As if those sneaky little rats could actually defeat us! For priests of a revered goddess, they sure have a strange way of showing their devotion."

Quillan's brow furrowed into a deep frown, the lines on his face deepening with concern. "Assassins, you say?" he asked, his voice low and filled with a protective edge that had not dulled over the years.

"That's right, grandpa!" Athian exclaimed, his tone growing more animated as he recounted the ordeal. "Aurie and I hardly got a wink of sleep most nights. We were constantly on edge, waiting for the next attack. It was such a pain!"

Arnoux jabbed Athian discreetly under the table, his elbow finding its mark with practiced precision. "Idiot! What are you doing?" he hissed through clenched teeth, his voice barely above a whisper. "Do you know how old we are? We're not brats to complain like that!"

Athian shot him a sideways glance, a mischievous grin playing on his lips. "Aurie, I'm making things easier for you," he whispered back, his tone conspiratorial. "We need to beat around the bush about why we came here."

Federon watched the exchange with mild amusement, a small, knowing smile softening his otherwise stoic expression. He didn't miss much, and the whispered argument between his young relatives was no exception.

Just then, the doors to the dining hall swung open, and a procession of maids entered, their movements graceful and precise as they pushed a series of trays laden with culinary delights. The long table quickly filled with platters of seasoned turkey, glistening medium-rare steaks, vibrant salads, marinated prawns that shimmered with a light glaze, and an assortment of puddings for dessert, each dish more tantalizing than the last. The aroma alone was enough to make anyone's mouth water.

Quillan, noticing his grandsons' wide-eyed stares and the almost comical way they were trying not to drool over the food, let out a hearty laugh. "Eat your fill! I'm sure you'll be back to eating nothing but greens once you're back in the Elven Kingdom!"

"Thank you!" Athian responded eagerly, his previous complaints forgotten as he dove into his meal with unabashed enthusiasm.

As they began their feast, the atmosphere around the table grew warm and comfortable, the earlier tension easing with each bite. However, Federon's sharp gaze soon returned to Arnoux, his curiosity clearly piqued. "I'm guessing your father instructed you two to come to Seymour County, correct?" he asked, his tone deceptively casual, though his eyes were intent.