why is there sand in your hair?

( 6 ) CHAPTER SIX —— ❛ ♜ ❜ CHAOTIC

# ꒷. my intentions with my first girlfriend were simply to get laid %

        CHRISTMAS MORNING WAS EVENTFUL, and not to mention chaotic. James had run into her room at six am sharp, jumped on her bed, shaken her awake, and yelled HAPPY CHRISTMAS, GET UP EM! in her ear.

        Ember was, to say, very pissed, as James had only given her four hours of restless sleep. She still had sand in her hair and between her toes, no matter how much she shook it out or what spell she had used. She had changed out of her sand-ridden clothes into a pair of grey sweats and a red jumper, with a fresh pair of socks.

        "Ember, Ember, Ember, Ember," James said impatiently, jumping on his toes in her doorway, waiting for her to leave her room. She quickly brushed out her hair and put on face lotion — two things she couldn't stand not having done.

        "Alright, alright. Bloody hell, James, you're a fucking toddler," she grumbled, pushing him gently and walking out in front of him.

        The pair walked down into the living room, where their Christmas tree stood proud in the corner. Five stockings — Euphemia had picked one up in Hogsmeade for Sirius a few days prior — hung on the mantle. Gifts of all sizes were under the lit Christmas tree.

        Fleamont always made sure that both his children had an equal amount of gifts in effort to squash any possible thoughts of favoritism. They didn't do the same for Sirius, since he was a unplanned guest, but they had picked him up two things they thought he'd like, and then he had all the gifts from his friends under their tree, too. Euphemia and Fleamont didn't go all out on presents, as they rather reserved their money for trips over the summer holidays.

        Ember could tell there was tension between her and her mother, but she ignored it best she could while she took her spot on the couch. James's inner child had already passed out the gifts, and he was sitting eagerly on the floor next to his pile.

        "So, do you guys open them all at once or go one at a time?" Sirius asked, looking around the room. The overhead lights were off, but the tree was lit and the fireplace was ablaze, and the sunrise was dimly lighting the room, creating the perfect Christmas morning.

        "James gets so impatient on Christmas morning that if we didn't let him have a go he'd jump through the wall," Fleamont said teasingly.

        "So impatient," Ember said, standing, "that he forgot to grab the stockings." She grabbed the five stockings from the fireplace, handing them out before taking her seat on the couch.

        "Have at it, kids — " Fleamont said, grabbing one of his own presents to open.

        Ember smiled at her father, grabbing a gift from James. She shook it once, then looked at him skeptically, then opened it. He simply returned her look with a goofy grin, holding up the broom service kit she had gotten him. In response, she held up the surfboard service kit he had gotten her with a matching grin. Twin telepathy, right?

        It took a few minutes, but Ember opened all her gifts and returned them to her room. She had gotten a pair of ultra mini black Uggs from her father, a surfboard service kit from James, a designer Dior perfume from her mother, three books from Kaz — one about Herbology, and two muggle stories.

        Regulus had gotten her a book, too, but it was untitled. When she opened it up, she smiled softly. Written in an elegant handwriting were the words 'i don't think i'll ever understand water in the way you do. you've connected with a force most people drown in, and somehow, you ride the waves on the balls of your feet. and somehow, the water doesn't flood your lungs, but gives you the power to swim above.'