are you going to sit?

( 16 ⌇      CHAPTER SIXTEEN      ——       ❛   ♜   ❜      CHAOTIC

#      ꒷.     you're a pain in the arse, potter     %      

SUMMER HOLIDAYS HAD STARTED OUT GREAT. The Potter parents had surprised the twins with a week-long trip to Italy, where they had spent three days in Rome, three in Milan, and two more in a smaller village on the coast.

Sirius and Regulus had finally both returned home for the summer. Regulus spent most of his time locked in his room or out of the house on secret missions. Sirius rarely talked to his family, which only caused his parents to loathe him more. He stepped one foot out of line and their wands came out, and on top of that, he was on house arrest, meaning, he wasn't allowed to leave.

They had their house elf, Kreacher, keeping an eye on him, the fireplaces locked off, and their windows were magically sealed. Sirius stayed in his room most days, rarely even coming out for food unless he was forced to be at family dinner or the kitchens were empty.

Regulus wasn't sure how he felt. His parents sent him to Death Eater meetings and recruitements, where they strategized and created plans, and swayed younger folk towards the dark arts. In the most recent weeks of summer, Death Eaters had made their stand by an airborne attack in London, where four muggles were killed. Regulus hadn't been part of this, but the guilt of being associated with it struck his morals.

Fleamont had gotten Ember and James tickets to the Falmouth Falcons and Ballycastle Bats quidditch match for mid July. He had bought three tickets, so he could join them, but now it was for someone of their choosing since Euphemia had made other plans for the two adults.

The Ministry workers were extremely busy during the weeks after the Trafalgar Square attack in London. They were on the hunt for Death Eaters, but none had been identified due to their masks and long cloaks. The Ministry was buzzing with action, press releases on progress, undercover operations, rescue missions, research and lots of time in the office, meaning that Euphemia and Fleamont were rarely home.

James had barely heard from Sirius, as he wasn't allowed to owled much, but Ember had been messaging Regulus freely.

"Em, I need a favor," James asked the girl, sitting down on a kitchen island stool.

She raised an eyebrow, sipping her bellini from its glass. James continued. "You're in contact with Regulus, right?"

Ember nodded. "Yes, why?"

"Can you ask him about Sirius for me? He rarely responds and I'm getting . . . uneasy."

Ember looked out the back doors. She could see the waves rolling in against the sand, still feeling the cool water dance around her skin like it had that morning for her early surf. Ember could smell the salted water from there — partly from her dampened hair, partly from the open windows and the summer breeze.

"Please, Em," James said quietly when she didn't respond.

"Last time I was over, Sirius was the best he could be living there. You know how their parents are, James. He spent most of the day in his room, and came downstairs after Mr and Mrs Black finished dinner for his meal. They've been keeping contact in and out of the house really strict, but he seemed healthy. Maybe a little lonely, but healthy," she assured him.