Chapter 8. "You're plain boring."

I observe her as I take small quiet steps. I know she's not okay. From how dull her blue eyes looked like, I knew there was something wrong. It's more than just her family, but I have no right to intrude all of a sudden.

Instead of asking, I sat down on the next swing and said, "Whatever is happening to you right now, I hope God would fix it, and whatever is in your head, I hope it would stop haunting you."

I try to look at her with no sympathy but I can't help it. Situations like this make me feel this way, so I sat there in silence. I just kept swinging in a slow pace and waited for her to speak. I know she needs someone to listen the way Sam listened to me about my brother.

Then, I got lost in my own thoughts. I thought of how fast he had to leave and how fast he had been taken away from us. If there was anything I could do, I would die with him, but no. There are other things planned out for me.

I made the memories slowly fade away. I didn't need it at the moment. I stood up in front of Canary and just looked down at her. I waved my hand, and she did the same.

         "Canary, I'm not going yet. I'm just trying to snap you out of your thoughts." I chuckled.

         "Oh," she said. "I thought you were going."

She looked up at me and stood up. "Is there anything you need?"

I shook my head like a 5 year old with my hair flying around, "No. You should go with me somewhere. A place where you can cool off a little."

Canary looked around like someone was watching her, but I know I haven't completely gained her trust. She pointed at herself and said, "Me? Where?"

         "Yes, you of course," I clarified. "And it's a secret. You'll find out later, little bird."

She glared at me and groaned as she stomped her foot. I chuckled, then told her to follow me.

         "It's going to be fun, I swear."

• • • • •

I pay on the counter and take our cups full of scoops of creamy chocolate and bubblegum icream. I walk to a table, and hand her the bubblegum ice cream

         "Devin?" The sound of her voice when she says my name...

         "Mhm?"

         "You're plain boring."

I look from my cup to her. She didn't just call me that. "I am not boring."

         "You should explore the flavors of ice cream more. It's in my bucket list."

I burst out laughing, making her glare at me in the process. "That's ridiculous! Bucket list, seriously? You're still young and many time to do everything. You won't die yet."

I continued laughing until the it died down. I wipe away my tears from laughing hard, and went back to eating my chocolate ice cream. I looked up at her again, and she was digging in. I can tell she's mad just by the way her eyebrows furrow.

She stood up and threw her cup away. Instead of going back to the table, she headed for the door. I jumped up at my feet and ran out, following her. "Hey what's up?" I asked as I caught up with her.

         "Nothing," she said. "Let's just go home. I'm really tired and I need rest."

I agreed with her so I called a cab. We headed to her house first then the cab dropped me off after. I payed for the cab, and turned around. I enter the house as quietly as I could, but someone was already waiting for me.