Chapter 14. "The feeling is different."

"Dude, are you for real?!" Sam freaked out. Well, more like he's surprised. "You've never done this before."

"But I can always do it. I was just afraid back then that my grades might drop to a really low one." I explained.

"Don't be surprised. Sammy granny. Devin is finally learning!" Danny exclaimed.

"More like Danny Granny right?" Sam earned a smack on the head.

"I was just kidding, Dan!"

We continued walking, making our way to our lockers. It's really a surprise to Sam that I'm skipping with Canary. I still remember the first time I tried to skip with them. Just as we were about to exit the building, a teacher entered. We were all speechless, and ever since then, I didn't go and skip with my buddies.

I felt a tap on my shoulder. I slowly turned around to see Canary with my cousin.

"Hey, Canary. Celestine?"

"Hey, Devs. I heard you both are planning to skip."

"So?" I said, but tried not to sound rude.

Celestine smiled. "So bring me with you. I mean in going out of the building. I'll ride with Benjamin."

"Who's Benjamin?" I asked.

"I'll explain later. Bye!" Then, she walked away.

I looked at Canary, quite disappointed that she told Celestine about it. Without any exchange of words, I pulled Canary with me, and we head to our first class. It's not like the first class, which is music, is boring since Canary and I are working on our vocals. We made sure our voices blend. I don't sing, but Canary said my voice is okay.

We repeated a few lines since we have to reach just the right note. I imagine myself playing the piano while Canary sings with me.

So don't fall in love
There's just too much to lose
If you're given the choice
Then I'm begging you to choose
To walk away, walk away
Don't let her get you

We finish with also the title. The bell rings and the period ends. Canary and I agreed on meeting in front of the canteen door with Celestine and Benjamin. I walk away quickly to my next class, wishing the next 2 hours are over. I tapped my pen on my desk and got scolded a few times. I knew that 2 hours are quite long and agonizing. Once the bell rang, I ran out quickly as I place my quiz paper on the table of Miss Jodi.

I sit on my desk in Math class, the excitement in me is overflowing. I see Canary enter the room, and smile at me. My eyes followed her as she makes her way to her desk just right beside me. She raises her hand, and I give her a high five. I can see the excitement in her too. We just have to be careful later just in case someone notices. We don't want to get caught.

After what seemed like a day, the bell rings again. I heard Canary squeak beside me. I knew she was excited. We both stood up as everyone else did, and took each other's hand and met Celestine and Benjamin. "Hey, Celest!" I greeted, a bit out of breath.

"Devin! Hey Canary. By the way, this is Benjamin," she said. "He's my boyfriend. He's new here in school, but I met him back in summer camp."

I shook hands with Benjamin while Canary just waves at him. We both hurry out without any teacher at sight or looking. We ride in Benjamin's car, and left as soon as he started the engine. "Yes! It's my first time to skip!" Canary cheered.

"It's all our first, Canary," Benjamin said. "Where do we drop you guys off?"

"Just at the nearby mall." I said.

They dropped us off on the curb by the mall. We thank them and told them to pick us up later. Canary held onto my hand. "We've made it!" She said.

"I know!"

I wrap my arms around her waist and she did as well. It was an accomplishment for the both of us. I somehow realized what I was doing, so I pulled away. I knew I was just as red as Canary, light red.

"By the way, cross out number 4: to fail a test. I failed the last quiz I took in Math."

I laughed at what she's done, and I crossed out number 4 and 5. "So what do we do now?" I asked.

"Let's check out some things and the shops in this mall." She suggested.

I agreed with her, and so we began. For the next 2 long and fun hours, we go in and out of shops. We buy a few things and hid them inside our backpacks. We also did number 1: explore ice cream flavors. We entered the ice cream store and bought 8 cups of different flavors. Canary and I tried all 8 of it and finished it all surprisingly. Although we didn't agree which one is the best, we knew it will still be our own opinion. Feeling so tired, we sit on a bench just outside the ice cream store, knowing we still have half an hour before we go back.

"This was tiring." I said.

"But it was fun." She added.

"You should umm tell me more about this guy you like." I said with so much curiosity.

"Okay. He's... I don't know. He's wonderful. He taught me a lot in the past few days. He's also handsome and fun."

I waited for her to continue while she stares on the ground, probably thinking about him. "That's it?"

"Well, yeah," she muttered. "I still have to discover so many things about him before I admit it to him. How about you? Tell me something about your little crush."

I stared at her for a moment. I looked into her deep blue eyes, and I see... I see the same twinkle I saw the other day. I smile at this beautiful girl in front of me. She has no idea how beautiful she is. How could I not let her know earlier that I have this little feeling for her? Oh yeah because I'm shitty when it comes to courting a girl.

"She's one of a kind," I began. "She's so crazy but like crazy in a good way. She knows when to have fun and when to be serious. She's... beautiful. Everything about her is beautiful. Her blue eyes, her brown, wavy hair, she's smart and I don't know. She's hard to describe. The feeling is different."

After describing Canary, I looked at her again. She was staring back at me with no emotion. Just a plain, blank stare. "What's wrong?"

She slowly starts to smile, creeping me out. "Nothing."

All of a sudden she sang a part of our favorite song.

Boy, can I tell you a wonderful thing?
I can't help but notice you staring at me
I know I shouldn't say this but I really believe
I can tell by your eyes that you're in love with me

"We should practice in my house," I said. "Tell me when you are free."

She nods at me and says, "I think I know who you like, but I'll keep quiet."

Oh. That's why she sang that line from the song.

Then, I realized... she knows.