Chapter 9. "Let time work on its magic."

The next morning, I walk in my music class and sat beside Canary who didn't look so sad or angry anymore. She has that wonderful light in her blue eyes and beautiful smile on her face.

         "What's up? You look so happy."

         "Just this guy," she blurted out.

I felt my smile falter. Knowing that other guys can make her smile drives me crazy, but I try to ignore the feeling.

         "Alright then," I manage to say. "What's up with this guy?"

         "Nothing. He's just so nice."

         "That's what you think," I tell her. "Not all are. Maybe that's only what he shows you."

         "Believe me, Devin. He really is," she defends.

I raise my brow at her, thinking that maybe she's missing out on some things in school. Just because she met someone so kind to her doesn't mean they totally are throughout her life. You only see the true colors of a person when you are at your lowest.

         "Nope," I say.

         "Yes," she fights back.

         "No, little bird."

         "Yes, Falcon."

Our music teacher suddenly cleared her throat, drawing our attention to her. "Is there something you want to share to everyone, Canary?"

Canary shook her head. She knows well how detentions can ruin her reputation as a straight-A student.  Being the nice guy I am, I told Miss Grizelda, "Sorry, Miss. It was my fault. I started the conversation."

         "So you want me to punish you only, Falcon?" I nod my head, hoping she does, but she did otherwise.

         "Detention for the both of you then."

         "Oops," I whispered to Canary. "We're double trouble."

         "You ruined my record, Falcon," she hissed.

The bell rings and Canary and I separate ways since we're having different classes for the second period. I continue walking not until I found Jett waiting by my locker.

         "You alright?" Jett asked.

         "Detention. Second time already."

Jett looks up the ceiling and slaps his own head. "You are finally getting the hang of it."

         "Of what?" I asked.

         "Of what having fun in class means." He chuckles, and I pushed him out of annoyance.

Detention should go well for me today. We enter English class hoping today's lecture won't be as boring. I sneaked out my phone and headset, and listened to music without getting caught. I just wanted to shut out Miss Jodi for today. I choose to do so.

The morning dragged on until the fast speed of time slowed down during lunch. The twins and Jett talked about something funny while I just listen, trying to control my laugh. As for Canary, she was freakishly quiet. We have changed her for the past few days that she's hanging out with us. She's unusually quiet today.

         "Hey, girl. What are you thinking about?" Sam asked.

         "None of your business," she says. "And I have a name. It's not girl."