Almost #10

ALMOST ENOUGH #10

Sharyn's POV

"Do you usually shop for them?" Hunter asked as we walked down the grocery store aisle. He was pushing the cart while I filled it with groceries for the kids at our orphanage this Christmas week.

"For Christmas, yes," I replied, checking my list. "We have the kids make wish lists and tell us their favorite foods, so each grocery delivery is personalized just for them."

"Isn't that hard? How many children's orphanage do you support?"

"We actually have a lot," I replied, feeling a sense of pride rather than tiredness. My great-grandfather started by supporting only one, and now we've lost count. "We have a total of 248 kids aged 5 to 10. That's not counting those aged 11 to 21."

"And you also have a home for the elderly, right?"

I nodded as we stopped in the chocolate section. I checked the price of the Toblerone; almost all the kids wanted that chocolate. I calculated the cost on my phone before looking for a staff member to help me get boxes.

"Wow..." Hunter said, looking at me with amusement and pride. "You're amazing."

I laughed. "You're just realizing that now?"

He shook his head. "Nah, I knew that from the first time I saw you."

"Thank you." I smiled at him.

"What about the packing? Are you still the one who will do it?" tanong niya. Dumating na rin ang staff tapos sinabi ko na ang boxes na kailangan ko. Tumulong muna si Hunter sa kanila na ilagay doon sa cart tapos pinapila ko na muna sa unahan ang nakuha namin dahil marami pa kaming kailangan na bilhin.

"Yes, aside from our staff, we have volunteers. Mostly, mga students lalo na iyong pinapaaral ng foundation namin," sagot ko.

"I'll help with the packing," he said.

"Huh? No need," I said, shaking my head. "Your family donates every year. That's enough. Baka magalit pa nga ang magulang mo 'cause I am allowing you to pack."

"I insist," he replied. "You'll get busy before Christmas, and we might not see each other on Christmas Eve and New Year since we'll be out of the country. This is my only time with you before the year ends, so how about letting me help?"

"You'll get tired," tutol pa rin ako kasi nakakahiya. Hindi naman niya ginagawa ang mga ganitong bahay.

"So what? I'll be with you. I'll also get my siblings and cousins to help so the work goes faster. I know you don't just wrap gifts for the kids, right? River told me you also give groceries to people living on the streets so it will be a lot. How many days do you have?"

"A week," sagot ko. "But it's okay, I don't have classes and Atty. Mercadelas allowed me to finish my internship next year."

"Same here, so I will help," sabi niya ulit.

"If you are doing this just to impress me, no, I'm good." I warned him, glaring at him. Gusto ko na bukal sa kalooban ang pagtulong sa amin—sa mga bata.

Ginulo niya ang buhok ko saka ngumiti. "I am doing this to spend more time with you, love."

I pushed my tongue against my cheek and sighed. "Fine. The more, the merrier."

His face lit up. "Thank you. Let me help with the list. Can you show it to me?"

"Sure. How about you do the math? I hate numbers."

"Okay. You can trust me with that," ani niya habang binabasa ang listahan at tinutulak ang push cart. May mga nakasunod na rin sa amin na staff para kung sakaling may ipakukuha kami.